• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to take a full backup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to take a full backup

Morning all,

having invested in a new IBM T43 2.0 ghz centrino, 2gb ram, 120gb disk, and having further spent bits of spare time in the last ten days fully installing a potentially lucrative new component of .Net ready to start learning it, I'd like to take a full system backup before going any further.

What's the best backup technique,

first guess is simply to use the Microsoft backup tool and back everything up ?
    How long will that take on 35gb's ?

Anyone any better, quicker, more reliable solutions ?

Thanks,

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes
    What's the best backup technique,
    [..]
    I thought you were the master of this.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Partition Magic or Ghost will take a snapshot of the pc and then you can restore it quickly back to how it is now.

Comment

Thanks,

doesn't ghost cost about 700 quid ?

Milan.

Comment

£40

http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/v2/e...ACHE_ID=196236
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

thanks Hyper.

Milan.

Comment

Milan don't bother with MS Backup, it's an utter waste of time and won't do what you want.

I often wonder if MS Backup actually does anything that anyone wants.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                Milan don't bother with MS Backup, it's an utter waste of time and won't do what you want.

I often wonder if MS Backup actually does anything that anyone wants.
                I have also pondered on that one.

Back in the Good Old Days, software did what it said on the tin.

I guess to make a simple backup solution is beyond the capablity of MS.

For what its worth for this new fangled PC stuff I also use Norton Ghost, mind you I remember Macro 4s DITTO for mainframe tape backups, ah nostalgia ...
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 26 January 2006, 11:34.

Comment

Should have used a hot standby Business Continuity elastic band.

Comment

Ironic post of the Week

Surely you can "borrow" some software from work. What do your noddy tapes use?
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X