• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who has a will?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has a will?

Where there's a will?

But who has one? Just had a phone call from a friend to say that he's passing on the news that a mutual contracting friends wife has died of the big C. Aged 41 leaving the guy with a 2 and a 5 year old.
    This on top of our friend across the road whose wife died last Xmas of the big C, leaving him with a 2.5 year old(now 4) who we look after once a week.

It never makes me question my own immortality(I am of course invincible) but the wife has started to go on about wills. We don't have one.I always feel by taking one out, it's like your tempting the inevitable!

Just out of interest. Who has and who doesnt have a will?

Poll.....
    Yes
    39.13%
    No
    52.17%
    It's a waste of time. I plan to burn with in hell with Andy's mum!!!
    8.70%
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

So the first poll was "how much money do you earn" and the 2nd is "do you have a will"

Sounds suspect to me.

Maybe a numpty question... but, if you're married is one required assuming you don't intend the money going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      So the first poll was "how much money do you earn" and the 2nd is "do you have a will"

Sounds suspect to me.

Maybe a numpty question... but, if you're married is one required assuming you don't intend the money going anywhere else.
      Not married. So I believe it goes to Dave. Not sure if this is right though. I have no experience in this whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Not married. So I believe it goes to Dave. Not sure if this is right though. I have no experience in this whatsoever.
        If you have no spouse / civil partner and no children, then the estate is split to:

Surviving parent(s) benefit equally. If none;
        Siblings of the whole blood equally. Entitlements pass to descendant(s) thereof if any sibling pre-deceased. If none;
        Siblings of the half blood equally. Entitlements pass to descendant(s) thereof if any half-blood sibling pre-deceased. If none;
        Surviving paternal &/or maternal grandparents equally. If none;
        Paternal &/or Maternal aunts & uncles of the whole blood equally. Entitlements pass to descendant(s) thereof where pre-deceased. If none;
        Paternal &/or Maternal aunts & uncles of the half-blood equally. Entitlements pass to descendant(s) thereof where pre-deceased. If none;
        The Crown, Duchy of Lancaster or Duchy of Cornwall, according to where the Deceased died.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          If you have no spouse / civil partner and no children, then the estate is split to:

Surviving parent(s) benefit equally. If none;
          Siblings of the whole blood equally. Entitlements pass to descendant(s) thereof if any sibling pre-deceased. If none;
          Siblings of the half blood equally. Entitlements pass to descendant(s) thereof if any half-blood sibling pre-deceased. If none;
          Surviving paternal &/or maternal grandparents equally. If none;
          Paternal &/or Maternal aunts & uncles of the whole blood equally. Entitlements pass to descendant(s) thereof where pre-deceased. If none;
          Paternal &/or Maternal aunts & uncles of the half-blood equally. Entitlements pass to descendant(s) thereof where pre-deceased. If none;
          The Crown, Duchy of Lancaster or Duchy of Cornwall, according to where the Deceased died.
          So, no will, means to your 'civil partner' right? Where your civil partner is your 'in house squeeze' or kids mum/dad?? Right???

Comment

Depends whether you have children or not, and the size of the estate.

< £125k - all to spouse / civil partner

> £125k - £125k to partner / spouse, plus personal possessions, plus half of the estate > £125k in a life interest trust to be passed to the Deceased’s children upon the death of the spouse. Children get half of the net residue in trust or in cash if over 18.

If you have no children, but have a surviving parent, brother or sister then the rules change yet again.

Linky.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

So, no will, means to your 'civil partner' right? Where your civil partner is your 'in house squeeze' or kids mum/dad?? Right???
              No. Civil partner is someone you have had a civil partnership ceremony with. Not your "common law" wife / husband. Not the other parent to your children.

For the price it costs to get a will, assuming that your affairs are pretty straight forward, it's a no-brainer really. My first will, I wrote myself - left everything to my parents, since I was young, unmarried but had a flat.

I leave everything to my wife. If she dies before me, or within 28 days of me, then everything is split between my children. After that, it gets split between by sister, brother, sister-in-law and nephew equally.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Depends whether you have children or not, and the size of the estate.

< £125k - all to spouse / civil partner

> £125k - £125k to partner / spouse, plus personal possessions, plus half of the estate > £125k in a life interest trust to be passed to the Deceased’s children upon the death of the spouse. Children get half of the net residue in trust or in cash if over 18.

If you have no children, but have a surviving parent, brother or sister then the rules change yet again.

Linky.
                You've obviously got a handle on this Faq, so cheers.

So lets say two examples. (1 partner 2 kids in both examples)

1) A joint house worth 250K (so the dead partners part is 125K, the surviving is 125K) so therefore the other 125K goes to the surviving partner by default? Right?

2) Example 2. A joint house worth 250K, with the dead partner with say 125K worth of cash/assets. So 125K to the partner and then 62.5K each split inheritence free each kid???????????

I really have to admit I do not have a clue.

Comment

I really have to admit I do not have a clue.
                  So phone a local solicitor and say "this is my situation, how much for a will?"

£75 - £200 quid later you have complete peace of mind.

Or you could marry her.

Comment

So phone a local solicitor and say "this is my situation, how much for a will?"

£75 - £200 quid later you have complete peace of mind.

Or you could marry her.
                    Listen Tony!. If you're going to come on to a contracting site and pretend to be a contractor so I'll marry your daughter you've got another thing coming. For a start, where the hell are the camels you promised me, your daughter drinks more wine than Amy Winehouse and no wonder you couldn't wait to get rid of her, have you seen her credit card bill.

I've got your number son!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X