• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying insurance for Muay Thai classes is it simply a membership rip off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying insurance for Muay Thai classes is it simply a membership rip off?

Does anyone know what this insurance covers, it sounds like a complete con?

Does anyone here know?

What does it say in the contract / schedule of insurance?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by trsisko View Post

Does anyone here know?
      It all depends on whether you think someone is going to knock your teeth out with an elbow.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It's probably so you don't claim against the venues/organisers insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          It's probably so you don't claim against the venues/organisers insurance.
          After some little seven stone Thai fella knocks your teeth out.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

What's so dangerous about learning a foreign language?

Unless you're in Bankok and a local takes offence when you fluff asking him directions to the nearest ladyboys' club
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It's true, most martial arts insurance is a con and not worth the paper it is printed on.

Most martial arts instructors do find they need to have public and member to member liability in place to be able to hire premises. It is entirely reasonable for the instructor to charge students to not only pay for member to member insurance but also contribute towards public liability insurance needed by each of their teaching staff. That said, some instructors do add a bit (or even a lot) extra for their own pockets as part of the yearly membership / insurance package.

Your instructor will make money off you in many ways: monthly contracts, gradings, merchandise, membership/insurance, competitions. He is offering a service in exchange for money in the same way that you are as a contractor. He has the right to implement his business in any way he chooses. You have the right to either sign up or walk away.

Comment

My brother plays Judo. I believe his insurance is covered by his BJA membership.

Not sure if there's a British Muay Thai Association providing similar cover...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The BJA is a good organisation. It wouldn't surprise me if their insurance is among the best.

There is also the option of a practitioner taking out their own insurance on top if they're worried about loss of earnings that might occur through injury. Decent insurance will cost from £50 upwards depending on your circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by trsisko View Post

Does anyone here know?
                    Sounds like a con to me - insurance was covered in the class/licence fee I used to pay for Karate.

You should PM FiveTimes, he's an instructor - he should be able to help.
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X