• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Curry from scratch...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curry from scratch...

Ok, girly gets a book about making curry from the relevant spices etc rather than jars/pastes etc.

So, off we toddle to the "International" supermarket in one of Manchesters more "ethnic" areas and promptly buy industrial (~500g bags) quantities of turmeric, chilli powder, whole cloves, mustard seeds etc.

Sunday morning we buy some nice storage jars for said spices etc, and transfer the spices into these nice (large) jars.

Sunday afternoon we proceed to construct our curry from one of the recipes in the new book.

The recipe goes something like this...

1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
    1 teaspoon of mustard seed
    1 clove...
    1 teaspoon of fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon of crushed garlic...

"Hang on" says I, "How many curries are we going to have to eat to finish off this jar containing 500g of Turmeric?"...

"One clove?" We've got 500g of the bloody things!

So, anyone want to come round for a curry?

I sense a plan B coming on. Unless your curry tastes tulip...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      I sense a plan B coming on. Unless your curry tastes tulip...
      It was very nice indeed.

Anyway, just to put things into perspective...

A 500g bag of chilli powder cost £1.49

Comment

I think you'll find that you'll have 400 grams plus remaining of any spice when it gets to its used by date. Still buying spices from an Asian food supermarket makes you realise what a huge mark up they must have in the 'standard' supermarket. Do love making curries from scratch.
        Last edited by The_Equalizer; 19 July 2010, 07:20.

Comment

If you add some turmeric to your rice before boiling it up, it turns a lovely shade of yellow. Good way of using up excess Turmeric and makes the whole dish look more exotic too. Not to mention throwing in the odd bay leaf or two,

HTH
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            If you add some turmeric to your rice before boiling it up, it turns a lovely shade of yellow. Good way of using up excess Turmeric and makes the whole dish look more exotic too. Not to mention throwing in the odd bay leaf or two,

HTH
            Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

HTH
              Contractors use saffron, turmeric in rice is the poor mans option.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                Contractors use saffron, turmeric in rice is the poor mans option.
                Saffron also flavours the rice and makes it more orangey red than yellow.

Turmeric gives it a nice colour.

If you bought whole cinnamon, stick that in with your nice and it will give it a nice flavour.

As for having lots of spices, there's a solution for that - make more curries.
                Last edited by norrahe; 19 July 2010, 08:11.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  Saffron also flavours the rice and makes it more orangey red than yellow.

Turmeric gives it a nice colour.

If you bought whole connamon, stick that in with your nice and it will give it a nice flavour.

As for having lots of spices, there's a solution for that - make more curries.
                  Wtf is that then?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                    Wtf is that then?
                    Think N means cardamon in common parlance. BTW if Ns rice is going orangey due to saffron then she's putting too much in and is way too rich.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                    X