PDA

View Full Version : Burka Ban

gricerboy
19th July 2010, 09:11
Don't really care what people wear but I can't help feeling that there's more than a little mischief making going on here. Most of the women who wear the niqab are 2nd or 3rd generation children of Pakistani immigrants who wouldn't probably have gone around in such attire themselves. Why they feel the need to do so I don't know but I'm sure there's a bit cocking the snook involved. There's a couple of guys where I work who have suddenly become very pious. Gone from wearing jeans and t shirts to the full dishdash with chinstrap beard. One of them keeps standing behind me counting his worry beads.:emb

dang65
19th July 2010, 09:16
I think that everyone should start walking round in them - men, women and children. It would be absolute chaos. Which can only be a good thing.

SupremeSpod
19th July 2010, 09:17
Don't really care what people wear but I can't help feeling that there's more than a little mischief making going on here. Most of the women who wear the niqab are 2nd or 3rd generation children of Pakistani immigrants who wouldn't probably have gone around in such attire themselves. Why they feel the need to do so I don't know but I'm sure there's a bit cocking the snook involved. There's a couple of guys where I work who have suddenly become very pious. Gone from wearing jeans and t shirts to the full dishdash with chinstrap beard. One of them keeps standing behind me counting his worry beads.:emb

Tell him that he's causing a disturbance in the force!

xoggoth
19th July 2010, 09:58
Asserting their own culture. That's ok, it's only racist if white people do it.

Clippy
19th July 2010, 10:22

Bullsh!t.

shaunbhoy
19th July 2010, 10:25
gricerboy,
thumbing worrybeads in your vicinity is not all that surprising. Think yourself lucky that people have not yet taken to sharpening their kukris when they see you boarding the train.

:laugh

gricerboy
19th July 2010, 11:48
Bullsh!t.

No, very true I'm afraid.

Clippy
19th July 2010, 11:56
No, very true I'm afraid.

Bullsh!t.

lilelvis2000
19th July 2010, 12:10

Proof?

SupremeSpod
19th July 2010, 12:13
Proof?

Actually, GricerBoy may have a point here...

I mentioned to CM that I tend to see more obviously "converted to" Islam women wearing the Burka than those born into it. Particularly girls/young women who have a moslem significant other.

TimberWolf
19th July 2010, 12:21
I think that everyone should start walking round in them - men, women and children. It would be absolute chaos. Which can only be a good thing.

It's a wonder thieves or whatnot haven't started wearing them. Perhaps they have dress standards that they aren't willing to compromise on?

cailin maith
19th July 2010, 12:25
It's a wonder thieves or whatnot haven't started wearing them. Perhaps they have dress standards that they aren't willing to compromise on?

I'm sure I saw something in the news about this recently - a jewellery shop in north manchester, I think. Will have a search...

http://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/8163217.Jewellers_robbed_by_thief_in_burka/

lilelvis2000
19th July 2010, 12:34

I mentioned to CM that I tend to see more obviously "converted to" Islam women wearing the Burka than those born into it. Particularly girls/young women who have a moslem significant other.

There is a false belief in the young muslim community - probably from the "relegious" schools they attend that convince them that it is written in the Quran that they must wear it. It also culturally is a way to distance themselves from society. And, I also believe many men force them to wear it.

But I question the assertion that it is mostly Pakistani's. Around here I see a mix of Gujurati and Pakistani girls and women wearing it. But down south I imagine there are arab and converts wearing it.

'Course these days with the general media and society turning against muslims, women may wear it for protection.

Sysman
19th July 2010, 12:35

I saw this kind of thing in Yorkshire in the early 1990s, though it was "traditional dress", without burkas. The burkas seem to be a new thing, presumably stimulated by the political discussions and media attention.

SupremeSpod
19th July 2010, 12:37
There is a false belief in the young muslim community - probably from the "relegious" schools they attend that convince them that it is written in the Quran that they must wear it. It also culturally is a way to distance themselves from society. And, I also believe many men force them to wear it.

But I question the assertion that it is mostly Pakistani's. Around here I see a mix of Gujurati and Pakistani girls and women wearing it. But down south I imagine there are arab and converts wearing it.

'Course these days with the general media and society turning against muslims, women may wear it for protection.

You may be correct. It was the zealous adoption of the Burka by "recent converts" that I was referring to.

SizeZero
19th July 2010, 12:50
Watching the news last night, it was funny to see everyone getting their knickers in a twist over it. The BBC talking about Burkas yet showing a woman with a Niqab, protestors in some muslim country complaining because they think the west wants to ban the face-revealing Hijab (I don't think anyone has ever mentioned banning this, except maybe Wilders in the Netherlands?).

I don't like the Burka, I don't like not being able to look someone in the eye when I speak to them. Maybe that's the whole point in them wearing it, to avoid communication. But I would defend their right to wear it if they made the choice to wear it.

I dislike Ugg boots too, and especially the summer Ugg boot-sandals, but nobody wants to ban them (although I expect girls feel obliged to wear them due to peer-pressure and fashion magazines, rather than because they want to.) While I'm at it, I dislike bikinis on anyone over 50, socks worn with sandals, and string vests. There's a lot I'd ban before head-coverings, to be honest :rolleyes:

shaunbhoy
19th July 2010, 12:54
I dislike Ugg boots too

Me too. What possesses young females to wear these, particularly when accompanied by a mini-skirt?
Makes them look like Eskimo hookers!!

cailin maith
19th July 2010, 12:56
Me too. What possesses young females to wear these, particularly when accompanied by a mini-skirt?

They are super comfy and warm... I love mine :o

TimberWolf
19th July 2010, 13:01
Cameron's response should be to hug a Burka (Burkie?), like hoodies.

Gibbon
19th July 2010, 13:10

They'd be skint then, Inuit women are not attractive. Infact their men delibrately lose at pool so they can give them away to the winner. I've seen this happen in Fairbanks Alaska but thats another story that even EO couldn't make up. It did end up with a bayoneting though.

shaunbhoy
19th July 2010, 13:26
They'd be skint then, Inuit women are not attractive. Infact their men delibrately lose at pool so they can give them away to the winner. I've seen this happen in Fairbanks Alaska but thats another story that even EO couldn't make up. It did end up with a bayoneting though.

As all the best romantic stories do!

:tongue

SupremeSpod
19th July 2010, 13:32
As all the best romantic stories do!

:tongue

Oi SB! Do you reckon "Gibbon" is "Menelaus" in drag?

shaunbhoy
19th July 2010, 13:34

It is possible. I am detecting a faint whiff of Oregano over the all-pervading Brylcreem aroma!!

:wink

Gibbon
19th July 2010, 13:41

Ok you win I've bit. But that is just outrageous and damned insulting old boy.

:ladybags:

xoggoth
19th July 2010, 14:33
Converts always seem more fanatical/loony in any religion in my very limited experience. One chap I shared a house with seemed to spend most of his time making notes in his bible.

cnch
19th July 2010, 14:33
Ok you win I've bit. But that is just outrageous and damned insulting old boy.

:ladybags:

I don't really understand why they wear burkhas given the Quran states both men and women should keep their gaze lowered. So if everyone has their gaze lowered who is there to look in anyone's face?

I personally have no issue with what anyone wears.
I'm currently visiting a friend's relative in hospital in France (no one from their family can get here) which has a much higher muslim population than indigenous French (the area where I and the hospital are). Now it is summer so I tend to wear dresses which perhaps shows a little of my cleavage and I must admit the looks I got from some people you would think I was standing on a street corner, my legs apart saying 'come on boys'. I refuse to change my attire in a secular country where no one else has any problem with it. If I visit Islamic countries I dress accordingly and most certainly don't judge anyone. Shame I now feel a bit uncomfortable here.

MaryPoppins
19th July 2010, 14:36

Nooo.

SupremeSpod
19th July 2010, 14:40
I don't really understand why they wear burkhas given the Quran states both men and women should keep their gaze lowered. So if everyone has their gaze lowered who is there to look in anyone's face?

I personally have no issue with what anyone wears.
I'm currently visiting a friend's relative in hospital in France (no one from their family can get here) which has a much higher muslim population than indigenous French (the area where I and the hospital are). Now it is summer so I tend to wear dresses which perhaps shows a little of my cleavage and I must admit the looks I got from some people you would think I was standing on a street corner, my legs apart saying 'come on boys'. I refuse to change my attire in a secular country where no one else has any problem with it. If I visit Islamic countries I dress accordingly and most certainly don't judge anyone. Shame I now feel a bit uncomfortable here.

It'd be even worse if you were a woman.

cnch
19th July 2010, 14:55
It'd be even worse if you were a woman.

Yawn.. death by ennui.

doodab
19th July 2010, 15:13
Next time try something figure hugging that ends just below the curve of your buttock, paired with some above the knee boots with a 3-4" heel.

Naaarwich
19th July 2010, 16:05
I once had to East Ham in London and was standing in front of a shop waiting for someone. Almost in front of me two friends met from opposite sides. What made this interesting was that they were both wearing the full burka with only a narrow slit for the eyes and the first teenager said "Jasmin!" and the other one said "Hina!". I'm standing there looking at both of them thinking how the hell did they recognise each other? Even if they had agreed to meet at that spot there were many other burka wearers walking past.

I was AMUSED, AMAZED and a few other words if my vocab was any better.

doodab
19th July 2010, 16:07
I was AMUSED, AMAZED and a few other words if my vocab was any better.

Aroused?

Naaarwich
19th July 2010, 16:14
Aroused?

Definately not aroused - they sounded like early teens. If Angelina Jolie wore a burka (and u didnt know it was her) how could you get aroused as there is no shape.

Clippy
19th July 2010, 16:21
I think Pam and Ronald from Padiddlyboing, Idaho have it about right! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbcKh13YrcA)

darmstadt
19th July 2010, 16:26
Scouse Burkha:

http://www.brokegradstudent.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/baghead.jpg