• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Burka Ban

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burka Ban

Don't really care what people wear but I can't help feeling that there's more than a little mischief making going on here. Most of the women who wear the niqab are 2nd or 3rd generation children of Pakistani immigrants who wouldn't probably have gone around in such attire themselves. Why they feel the need to do so I don't know but I'm sure there's a bit cocking the snook involved. There's a couple of guys where I work who have suddenly become very pious. Gone from wearing jeans and t shirts to the full dishdash with chinstrap beard. One of them keeps standing behind me counting his worry beads.

I think that everyone should start walking round in them - men, women and children. It would be absolute chaos. Which can only be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
      Don't really care what people wear but I can't help feeling that there's more than a little mischief making going on here. Most of the women who wear the niqab are 2nd or 3rd generation children of Pakistani immigrants who wouldn't probably have gone around in such attire themselves. Why they feel the need to do so I don't know but I'm sure there's a bit cocking the snook involved. There's a couple of guys where I work who have suddenly become very pious. Gone from wearing jeans and t shirts to the full dishdash with chinstrap beard. One of them keeps standing behind me counting his worry beads.
      Tell him that he's causing a disturbance in the force!

Comment

Asserting their own culture. That's ok, it's only racist if white people do it.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Bullsh!t.

Comment

gricerboy,
            thumbing worrybeads in your vicinity is not all that surprising. Think yourself lucky that people have not yet taken to sharpening their kukris when they see you boarding the train.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              Bullsh!t.
              No, very true I'm afraid.

Comment

No, very true I'm afraid.
                Bullsh!t.

Comment

Proof?
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    Proof?
                    Actually, GricerBoy may have a point here...

I mentioned to CM that I tend to see more obviously "converted to" Islam women wearing the Burka than those born into it. Particularly girls/young women who have a moslem significant other.

Comment

Working...
                    X