• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Queue jumping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queue jumping

Is this the worst thing you can do to an Englishman (and the perhaps the partially civilised Scot, etc too)? Does it make you angry? Or want go on a killing spree if you is a taxi driver up north?

I had someone do it to me over the weekend. It was a bit of an ambiguous situation, where two people were serving at a counter. If I'd been feeling a bit pushy I could have stood in between both tills I suppose, but today I happened to be a little nearer the side of the woman who seemed to be serving and further back. Anyway the till I hadn't been watching for some reason came free just as a new customer appeared from nowhere and who immediately stepped forward to be served. I'd been waiting for a few minutes. I looked at him. I felt an adrenaline rush. I stepped forward too. This could kick off. No intervention from the till person. I turned to speak to the queue jumper. He said, 'sorry were you queuing' and stepped back. I, not quite satisfied and still feeling slighted just said 'yes' and ignored him and got served.

Mind you, I recall an occasion when I tried attempted massive queue jump once, accidentally. I wasn't paying attention and went to withdraw some cash out of a cash machine in the street. As I started, I felt myself being poked, by what turned out to be an umbrella wielding angry woman. I turn and survey the situation, and see a long angry looking queue of people that I hadn't noticed previously waiting to use the two tills. Oops.
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 19 July 2010, 12:53.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Is this the worst thing you can do to an Englishman (and the perhaps the partially civilised Scot, etc too)? Does it make you angry? Or want go on a killing spree if you is a taxi driver up north?

I had someone do it to me over the weekend. It was a bit of an ambiguous situation, where two people were serving at a counter. If I'd been feeling a bit pushy I could have stood in between both tills I suppose, but today I happened to be a little nearer the side of the woman who seemed to be serving and further back. Anyway the till I hadn't been watching for some reason came free just as a new customer appeared from nowhere and who immediately stepped forward to be served. I'd been waiting for a few minutes. I looked at him. I felt an adrenaline rush. I stepped forward too. This could kick off. No intervention from the till person. I turned to speak to the queue jumper. He said, 'sorry were you queuing' and stepped back. I, not quite satisfied and still feeling slighted just said 'yes' and ignored him and got served.

Mind you, I recall an occasion when I tried attempted massive queue jump once, accidentally. I wasn't paying attention and went to withdraw some cash out of a cash machine in the street. As I started, I felt myself being poked, by what turned out to be an umbrella wielding angry woman. I turn and survey the situation, and see a long angry looking queue of people that I hadn't noticed previously waiting to use the two tills. Oops.
    Are you Suity in disguise?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

So basically you're angry because someone didn't jump the queue?

I hate queueing personally. I wouldn't jump a queue on purpose, that is the height of rudeness, but if I walk into a shop and there is a massive queue I walk right out again unless I really really have to be there.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Had a similar thing happen to me a few days ago.

The bloke behind me suggested I let the queue jumper know there is a queue but I told him it wasn't worth the hassle and let it slide.

TBH, staff in shops are fking clueless as well nowadays in terms of customer management.

When I was a student and worked in a shop I had a good idea of who was next in line and when I saw a queue jumper I would politely advise them to join the back of the queue or risk not being served - never had a complaint or any jip.

Comment

TO be honest as mentioned the way the shop/bar people deal with it leaves a lot to be desired. It drives me nuts when you are trying to get served at a bar and the bar person works his way down then serves the guy who just stepped in to the last guys space first when everyone down the bar has been waiting. F'ing morons. All they have to do is make a drink and give the right change. Not hard to memorise who has been standing there longest.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            TO be honest as mentioned the way the shop/bar people deal with it leaves a lot to be desired. It drives me nuts when you are trying to get served at a bar and the bar person works his way down then serves the guy who just stepped in to the last guys space first when everyone down the bar has been waiting. F'ing morons. All they have to do is make a drink and give the right change. Not hard to memorise who has been standing there longest.
            This is actually one of the ways I tell the difference between a good bar and a bad one. Good bars have good bartenders, and they serve in order. Bad bars I don't go back to unless it's at someone else's behest.

I like bars.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              I like bars.
              Me too.
              MF looks much safer behind them too!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                So there are some tips and tricks for this.

I regularly get the drinks for people at busy bars especially if were staying and it's v busy. A ten minute wait is not unheard of.

You always get some fit bird, wimpy bloke or a bloke with a chip on his shoulder.

For each scenario.

Always schmooze next to the fit bird. You can slipstream her and have someone to flirt with.

Always shout over the wimp and make eye contact with bar staff. And with the chip on shoulder bloke wave your cash. It pisses them off.

Once served the trick is to offer the server a drink. They will instantly acknowledge you on your next trip to the bar leaving the wimp drinkless, mr chippy fuming and the fit birds swooning.

Simples
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Does staying on the Eastbound M4, passed all the waiting cars for the M25s and only to turn onto M25 myself, count as a queue jump, think I've probably managed a couple of miles before.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    I looked at him. I felt an adrenaline rush. I stepped forward too. This could kick off.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X