• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

limited company and co secretary.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

limited company and co secretary.

I'd like to set up a limited company to start contracting within the UK. I'm considering using SJD for:
    - setting up my limited company (£125)
    - acting as my company secretary (£95 pa)
    - providing accountancy service (£85pm)

Could anyone tell me what is the advantage of appointing SJD as my company secretary rather than just nominating my partner as company secretary?

If I appointed my partner as company secretary and myself as company director, would there be more paperwork involved in all communication between SJD and myself/partner? Can SJD provide good accountancy services without being company secretary? Or does it make things more complicated for them?

What is the most common approach used by people setting up a limited company without using their partner's name as company secretary? Company providing an accountancy service is then the company secretary?

Thanks,
    David

Oh Dear! Time to claim on my Twat Stress Insurance.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by david jones
      I'd like to set up a limited company to start contracting within the UK. I'm considering using SJD for:
      - setting up my limited company (£125)
      - acting as my company secretary (£95 pa)
      - providing accountancy service (£85pm)

Could anyone tell me what is the advantage of appointing SJD as my company secretary rather than just nominating my partner as company secretary?

If I appointed my partner as company secretary and myself as company director, would there be more paperwork involved in all communication between SJD and myself/partner? Can SJD provide good accountancy services without being company secretary? Or does it make things more complicated for them?

What is the most common approach used by people setting up a limited company without using their partner's name as company secretary? Company providing an accountancy service is then the company secretary?

Thanks,
      David

You could always ask your accountant for advice... That is what they're there for!

Comment

despite SJDs good reputation

1) £125 to set up co. is expensive
        2) Let your partner mum .... be co. secretaty it's only a title (despite the legal resposibilites)
        3) £85PM is expensive

go Brollie
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Darren (who also posts on here a lot) will set up your company for free and be the company secretary for you also, as long as you stay with him for at least a year. That's saved me £220 over SJD, who I believe also charge for electronic filing, which is very naughty imho.
          And £85 pm is very expensive.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I second Mordac's view.

Comment

I third it. Darren is a top chap.

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
                I third it. Darren is a top chap.
                True enough. Sh1te taste in Footy teams mind you!
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Thank you very much. Darren seems to be the man to talk to then.

Comment

Agree with above. Why get charged for nowt? A company secretary does not actually do anything. That set up is pricey, I paid about £55.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X