• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC World rip off merchants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC World rip off merchants

Had to walk into PC World yesterday as I was short of SATA hard drive power converter (PSU had old style sockets), and they did not have it, but while browsing I noticed how much they charge for cables like IDE connectors - 10-15 quid!!!! Power splitter was like £9.99!

FFS, and I thought I was ripped off on a local computer fair where these parts cost 2-3 quid each. Luckily there was a local computer shop who sold me parts I needed at a good price.

AtW: But shops like that are not trying to sell to people like us. So what exactly is the problem?

Without expensive penalties for stupidity why would people ever bother to be educated?
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
      So what exactly is the problem?
      The problem is that such a high price differential is not justifiable at all - this is as rigged as insurance market.

Comment

Only an idiot would consider shopping there. Alas, that is where you went wrong Alexei!

Now did I ever tell you the old story about these hostages??
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Well the connector was packed in a nice plastic & cardboard box that probably cost more than the bits inside, AtW...
          Less sarkily, manufactured goods are so cheap now that distribution costs are a large part of the price. If you buy from a shop you've got to pay them for running the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
            Only an idiot would consider shopping there. Alas, that is where you went wrong Alexei!
            It was distress purchase - I did not want to wait few days and I thought will check PC world, the lack of part and prices were unacceptable so I went to alternative supplier - small dodgy IT shop that sold me parts at nice cheap price.

Nothing wrong with shopping around - I generally come to PC World on educational trips to see nice laptops that I will use on a beach with two beautiful women by my side desperately hoping to attract my attention.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              I generally come to PC World on educational trips to see nice laptops that I will use on a beach with two beautiful women by my side desperately hoping to attract my attention.
              If I were you I'd get that dealer of yours to make all your IT-related purchases on your behalf. If he comes back with anything as good as what he's got you smoking, you'll be laughing!
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                The problem is that such a high price differential is not justifiable at all - this is as rigged as insurance market.
                Here we go again. After telling us last week that the government should set standard charge out rates for plumbers and lawyers, are you now going to tell us the state should now fix the cost of electronic components?
                I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus
                  Here we go again. After telling us last week that the government should set standard charge out rates for plumbers and lawyers, are you now going to tell us the state should now fix the cost of electronic components?
                  Monopolies should be regulated - Dixon's IT empire is a local monopoly - hence they should be either broken up, or have their prices regulated.

Comment

ROFLOL
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X