• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK - The junior partner?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK - The junior partner?

David Cameron is being blasted for saying that the UK is the junior partner to the US, whilst I do not think that applied during World War 2, I do think he is being realistic in that we are no longer a superpower, and that in the 21st century we are an important player but in no way an equal partner to the US.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

He's being blasted for saying "We were the junior partner in 1940 when we were fighting the Nazis." At that point the USA hadn't even joined the war.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      He's being blasted for saying "We were the junior partner in 1940 when we were fighting the Nazis." At that point the USA hadn't even joined the war.
      What War??

Uncle Sam

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Having pretensions to Great Power status by hanging on US coat tails, while the reality is that we are a semi-bankrupt, second-rate, medium sized country is making us the laughing stock of the world.

HTH, but IDI.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          HTH, but IDI.
          Every time I read this I think of Hi De Hi
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Every time I read this I think of Hi De Hi
            Well, they don't come much "camper" than sasguru!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Blasted by whom? Navel gazers here maybe no one in the US is the least interested

Comment

But France did

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Blasted by whom? Navel gazers here maybe no one in the US is the least interested
                  Very true. The insular British press makes it seem that anyone gives a tulipe, when in the US it's "Dave who?"
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    the reality is that we are a semi-bankrupt, second-rate, small sized country is making us the laughing stock of the world.
                    I know most guys can't tell the difference between small or medium, but if you look at a globe, the UK is most definitely small, in the geographical sense of the word.
                    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
                    X