Dr DimPrawn PhD

OwlHoot
22nd July 2010, 12:14
Arsey or not?

not

Dr Natterjack Muttergee (PhD (Calcutta (failed))) :nerd

Spacecadet
22nd July 2010, 12:16
Oh Dear, at this rate you'll have to get those 20 boxes of business cards you've had printed pulped

Dr. Minestrone BSC SSC

SupremeSpod
22nd July 2010, 12:17
Oh Dear, at this rate you'll have to get those 20 boxes of business cards you've had printed pulped

Dr. Minestrone BSC SSC DipSh!t

ftfy

Zippy
22nd July 2010, 12:17
Arsey or not?

Yes unless you are authoring an academic paper, a lecturer or an expert witness.

moorfield
22nd July 2010, 12:23
Arsey or not?

Just keep taking the p*ss out of them until they stop it. We did on a previous gig to Dr Foster (who coincidentally did come from Gloucester). The beardy sandal wearing one cracked eventually and shuffled off to do unix admin somewhere else.

Zippy
22nd July 2010, 12:26
Just keep taking the p*ss out of them until they stop it. We did on a previous gig to Dr Foster (who coincidentally did come from Gloucester). The beardy sandal wearing one cracked eventually and shuffled off to do unix admin somewhere else.

You barstewards! I loved that gig. :ladybags:

doodab
22nd July 2010, 12:31
In Germany you would be considered odd if you had a PhD and didn't call yourself doctor.

Mich the Tester
22nd July 2010, 12:36
Arsey or not?
Not quite as arsey as people who call themselves doctor without a PhD. Hmm, do we know anyone who might do that?

OwlHoot
22nd July 2010, 12:44
In Germany you would be considered odd if you had a PhD and didn't call yourself doctor.

Like that famous physist (Landau?) who stayed in America for his honeymoon, and was said to have announced to his wife on their wedding night "In public please call me dear, but in private you can continue to call me Herr Doktor Professor".

Seriously, as Zippy says, it depends on the work one is involved in, and the PhD subject. If your PhD is in ancient Etruscan pots or something, and you're applying for a .Net contract in a bank, it's hardly worth mentioning. But if you have a PhD in robotics, and are applying to join a Cambridge startup dealing with robots then the opposite is true. Obvious really.

Pondlife
22nd July 2010, 12:45

Only if you work in that area.

Couple of guys I work with don't use their title as the subject of their doctorate is not related to their profession.

YMMV

Advocate
22nd July 2010, 12:48

Dr. Minestrone BSC SSC

Good swimmer eh?

Spacecadet
22nd July 2010, 12:50
Good swimmer eh?

:D

teclo
22nd July 2010, 12:56

I've recently been dealing with a German that gets a bit arsey if you don't prefix his name with Dr.

shaunbhoy
22nd July 2010, 13:05
Arsey or not?

I say let them use whatever titles make them seem less socially inadequate.

HTH

AtW
22nd July 2010, 13:46
Like that famous physist (Landau?) who stayed in America for his honeymoon, and was said to have announced to his wife on their wedding night "In public please call me dear, but in private you can continue to call me Herr Doktor Professor".

Unlikely - Lev Landau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lev_Landau) - Landau was Soviet/Russian physicist, one of a few really great ones, so he would not have asked his wife to call him "Herr" in public, Komrade maybe.

AtW
22nd July 2010, 13:46
I say let them use whatever titles make them seem less socially inadequate.

HTH

And your title is "Suffers Fools...Badly!" :eyes

sasguru
22nd July 2010, 14:17
And your title is "Suffers Fools...Badly!" :eyes

He just can't live with himself :laugh

shaunbhoy
22nd July 2010, 14:22
And your title is "Suffers Fools...Badly!"

Talking of social inadequates................

:laugh :laugh :laugh

kaiser78
22nd July 2010, 16:01
Arsey or not?

Not really, claims respect IMO, but is that any different to people who show technical qualifications after their names MCP/MSCE etc ?

shaunbhoy
22nd July 2010, 16:36

Not really, claims respect IMO, but is that any different to people who show technical qualifications after their names MCP/MSCE etc ?

Or to people that walk round with their O Level grade stapled to their forehead?

:laugh

Boudica
22nd July 2010, 17:10
i'm so pathetic and desperate if i ever finish my PhD i will be getting Dr tattooed on my arse

kaiser78
22nd July 2010, 18:00
Worse still are people that actually put BSc or BA after their names. :eyes

Degree wise, anything over BSc/BA is no problem to show after your name. I say that because I have a Masters, not that I ever show it after my name !