• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the worst contract you have had?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the worst contract you have had?

Need cheering up - current place a nightmare - politics unbelievable - exec to all levels. All bitching about each other - every one else is incompetent - lots of finger pointing etc etc....

You're a contractor. Rise above it! Just imagine being a permie there and you will feel much better....
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by jo99 View Post
      Need cheering up - current place a nightmare - politics unbelievable - exec to all levels. All bitching about each other - every one else is incompetent - lots of finger pointing etc etc....
      Current client co is just like that......

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      You're a contractor. Rise above it! Just imagine being a permie there and you will feel much better....
      and this is what we do - me and the other 'tractors have a good laugh about it!

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        Got to smile at nonsense responses like this. The OP isnt joining in with the client co infighting, he \ she has to put up with it and may even get caught up in it.

Being a contractor doesnt mean you are suddenly immune to the nonsense that goes on in the workplace or immune from getting caught up in it.

It can be hell working in such situations. I have once and walked offsite what with all the bickering going on. It actually helped the situation when I walked off site as senior people started asking the question why. They even contacted me to ask me the question.

I told them I wasnt prepared to work in such conditions.

Each to their own I guess.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Rising above it is hard. I don't have other contractors to laugh about it - as its also several contractors that are doing this. Have tried v hard to keep out of it - however, now I am getting caught up in it. Everyone is after saving their skins (permies) and manipulating situations and people (the contractors/consultants/consultancies).

So I think I am on a bit of a loser.....renewal coming up next week and am still waiting for a decision. With latest turn of events I am not sure I even want it now...

Comment

Rising above it is hard. I don't have other contractors to laugh about it - as its also several contractors that are doing this. Have tried v hard to keep out of it - however, now I am getting caught up in it. Everyone is after saving their skins (permies) and manipulating situations and people (the contractors/consultants).

So I think I am on a bit of a loser.....renewal coming up next week and am still waiting for a decision. With latest turn of events I am not sure I even want it now...
            I've been contracting around 7 years, yet to find a place that was not like this to be honest. I think if I did I'd probably find it boring, unchallenging and I doubt the rate would be any good. Make a conscious effort to separate work and your state of mind. Letting work get to you when you look at it from afar in the grand scheme of your existence on this earth is actually pretty daft. Don't take things personally, it's just business and sometimes a great metaphor for life. In reality, you have very few friends/allies, everyone is out for themselves. Look after number one (without hurting others obviously) and congratulate yourself for being better than the peasants that surround you.

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
              I've been contracting around 7 years, yet to find a place that was not like this to be honest. I think if I did I'd probably find it boring, unchallenging and I doubt the rate would be any good. Make a conscious effort to separate work and your state of mind. Letting work get to you when you look at it from afar in the grand scheme of your existence on this earth is actually pretty daft. Don't take things personally, it's just business and sometimes a great metaphor for life. In reality, you have very few friends/allies, everyone is out for themselves. Look after number one (without hurting others obviously) and congratulate yourself for being better than the peasants that surround you.
              Thanks for the advice. I have trouble switching off my mind. Plus I do like to do things perfectly being a business analyst. Trying to curb my natural instincts. Would be interested in any tips!

Comment

Lie back, close your eyes and think of the money.

Works for me every time.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Rising above it is hard. I don't have other contractors to laugh about it - as its also several contractors that are doing this. Have tried v hard to keep out of it - however, now I am getting caught up in it. Everyone is after saving their skins (permies) and manipulating situations and people (the contractors/consultants/consultancies).

You must be working where I am, say hello next time lol

Comment

I used to work in a 'converted' 1950's warehouse (toilets looked like they hadn't been changed) roasting in summer, arctic in winter. Boss was nicknamed 'mad dog', he was an ex-bouncer sacked from his previous job for bullying and intimidating staff, old habits died hard. A climate of fear permeated the office (think rows of tiny desks so crammed in that people walking down the row hit every chair on the way past), there was frequent screaming and swearing at people in the team.
                    Far from providing motivation, no-one dared to do anything in case it was wrong. On a Friday there would typically be 3-4 people leaving (out of 45).
                    Despite the turnover mad dog made me sack a chap I had hired a few weeks previously, who had done really, well due to short term budget issues (2 people from my team decided to leave in the following 2 weeks).
                    Normal working hours were 9-6 and the chair I got when I arrived was so uncomfortable I was in pain for most of the day for weeks till my body 'adapted' (they were all like that).
                    It took me 8 long months to lie and talk my way out of the place into a decent contract. I didn't walk because I needed the job title to give me any chance of moving to a half decent job.
                    I can work pretty much anywhere after that....

Comment

Working...
                    X