• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shares!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shares!

I've just started buying some lately.

Got a couple of grands worth and I plan to buy about another £500 each month (job permitting) - build up a bit of a pot.

Do any of you lot invest regularly? Is it a viable pension plan if you spread bet? (That's all pension firms do on your behalf anyway isn't it?)

I'm thinking 20 years @ £500 per month = £120,000 - is that enough for dividend payments to live off do you reckon?
    The pope is a tard.

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Do any of you lot invest regularly? Is it a viable pension plan if you spread bet? (That's all pension firms do on your behalf anyway isn't it?)

I'm thinking 20 years @ £500 per month = £120,000 - is that enough for dividend payments to live off do you reckon?
    1. Yup
    2. Nope

• Look to invest in monopolies - eg British Gas & avoid (unless you're very brave) technology stocks
    • Take scrip dividends
    • Ramp up the £500@month to take care of inflation

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

The only shares worth investing into are those of your own company... assuming you did not go Ltd with a primary reason to avoid paying your fair share of taxes

Comment

Is it a viable pension plan if you spread bet?
        No. In fact,

NO!!!

Pension planning and spread betting are about a far apart as it is possible to get.

Certainly do the former, but do not get involved with the latter. Leave that to evil spekulants like me.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          1. Yup
          2. Nope

• Look to invest in monopolies - eg British Gas & avoid (unless you're very brave) technology stocks
          • Take scrip dividends
          • Ramp up the £500@month to take care of inflation

HTH
          That was just noise
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

Dividends on average varies. mine is currently paying 2% a year. I reckon that's when you know the shares are fairly valued. In the crash I was getting 4%.

You can however build a portfolio based on high dividends, my best shares for dividends pay 10% a year.

Generally Telecoms are best for dividends.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

First thing to realise is that you know nothing about shares. Anyone picking individual shares that they fancy on a whim is an idiot who will lose money.
              This makes your policy as effective as picking horses in a race with a pin and about as likely to succeed.
              I am presuming you are using either a SIPP or a shares ISA to do this, if not you are mad, as these are 'tax-free' and for ISA's don't even need to be declared on any return.
              Things to note :
              - You MUST consider commiting the money for 5years + and hold your nerve during the rollercoaster ride during that time. This means keeping enough aside so you don't HAVE to sell (which will usually come when the market is down)
              - You SHOULD look at LOW COST market trackers as the initial foundation for any portfolio. These generally outperform a significant percentage of actively 'managed' funds which almost always perform similarly to their general market sector anyway - especially when you consider the management costs.
              Start with fool.co.uk to pick up the basics, I use H-L.co.uk (Hargreaves Lansdowne) for fund purchases due to savings on initial costs and 'some' discounts on annual management charges.
              I would suggest you proceed very carefully !

Comment

If you are thinking of staying in Sunderland, then that figure will be more than adequate.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                  You SHOULD look at LOW COST market trackers as the initial foundation for any portfolio. These generally outperform a significant percentage of actively 'managed' funds which almost always perform similarly to their general market sector anyway - especially when you consider the management costs.
                  All of my time in London was spent working for "professional" fund management companies and the conclusion that I ended up with was that their performance was always more luck than judgement.

The fund manager's personal performance is measured against a benchmark which is the market so their job will be to outperform the market by a smidgen. From time to time one of them will do rather well for a short time, they are just having a lucky streak, it wont last.

Some of the conversations that I used to overhear really made me

This is a genuine conversation I overheard in the lift, before the credit crunch:

Risk Analyst : How come the cash fund is getting such a good yield at the moment?
                  Fund Manager : Its full of tulip.

So, the conclusion from that would be to use a tracker although it will be interesting to see what happens when everyone is using a tracker - what will they be tracking?

Comment

I've just started buying some lately.

Got a couple of grands worth and I plan to buy about another £500 each month (job permitting) - build up a bit of a pot.

120k in 20 yrs discounted to present value would worth significantly less than that, dividend income might be a small fraction of your living costs. Your figures exclude the potential growth of the shares though (including reinvesting dividends)
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X