• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britons unconvinced on evolution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another nail in the atheist coffin

From BBC News Online

More than half the British population does not accept the theory of evolution, according to a survey.
    Furthermore, more than 40% of those questioned believe that creationism or intelligent design should be taught in school science lessons.

The survey was conducted by Ipsos MORI for the BBC's Horizon series.

Its latest programme, A War on Science, looks into the attempt to introduce intelligent design into science classes in the US.

Over 2000 participants took part in the survey, and were asked what best described their view of the origin and development of life:

22% chose creationism
    17% opted for intelligent design
    48% selected evolution theory
    and the rest did not know.
    Intelligent design is the concept that certain features of living things are so complex that their existence is better explained by an "intelligent process" than natural selection.

Education questioned

Andrew Cohen, editor of Horizon, commented: "I think that this poll represents our first introduction to the British public's views on this issue.

"Most people would have expected the public to go for evolution theory, but it seems there are lots of people who appear to believe in an alternative theory for life's origins."

When given a choice of three theories, people were asked which ones they would like to see taught in science lessons in British schools:

44% said creationism should be included
    41% intelligent design
    69% wanted evolution as part of the science curriculum.
    Participants over 55 were less likely to choose evolution over other groups.

"This really says something about the role of science education in this country and begs us to question how we are teaching evolutionary theory," Andrew Cohen added.

The findings prompted surprise from the scientific community. Lord Martin Rees, President of the Royal Society, said: "It is surprising that many should still be sceptical of Darwinian evolution. Darwin proposed his theory nearly 150 years ago, and it is now supported by an immense weight of evidence.

"We are, however, fortunate compared to the US in that no major segment of UK religious or cultural life opposes the inclusion of evolution in the school science curriculum."

In the US, a recent high profile court case ruled that the intelligent design movement is motivated by a desire to introduce God into the classroom after parents in Pennsylvania took a school board to court over its demand that biology classes should not teach evolution as fact.

Horizon: A War on Science is on BBC Two at 2100GMT on Thursday, 26 January 2006
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

cuckoo.....

that's quite high considering there's more than a few options.

Comment

Not a Jehovah's Witness are you Chico? I can never understand their obsession with evolution. I cannot see how belief in god and belief in evolution are in any way mutually exclusive.

As I understand it, only a minority of Christians believe in creationism, the others believe that the universe works according to certain laws and rules, including evolution, that are of god's devising.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

More than half the British population

Is this the same half that gave us New Labour?

My only surprise is that 13% were bright enough to say they didn't know.

The Great British people are on the whole thick-as-sh 1t so irrational comments are common place and are to be expected.

Evolution is like the lottery, its millions to one against that you will win it but its a racing certainty that someone will and the same rationale can be applied to elements of evolution like the eye.

Comment

Program just concluded. ID supporters shown up for the obscurantist frauds they are. Whole argument based on the supposed irreducibility of bacteria flagellum plus a spurious argument of the probability of evolution of complexity. Would be laughed at in a first year undergraduate tutorial.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Britons Unconviced by Chico

Sola Panel
            Sola Heating
            Soli Hull

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme
              Sola Panel
              Sola Heating
              Soli Hull
              O'sole mio...

Comment

The case for Evolution and Geographic Diversity

The Welsh.

End of debate.
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

22% chose creationism

Sounds like the don't knows fecked things up there. This is an argument for the tulipeness of the education system, not a case for the creationists.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
                    Another nail in the atheist coffin

From BBC News Online

22% chose creationism
                    Just another biased bit of BBC reporting. Looks like the majority support the Evolution Theory to me.

You could turn round and say:

"SHOCK HORROR!! A CATACLYSMIC DROP TO 22% OF GULLIBLE BRITONS WHO NOW BELIEVE IN CREATIONISM"

Still, every bit of propaganda counts, eh Chico?
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X