• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Bristol Suburban Railway Society

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bristol Suburban Railway Society

Spent an absolutely fascinating Friday at the BSRS in Bitton just outside Bristol.

The BSRS have been in existence for more than 10 years and are made up from everyone from professional types to schoolboy enthusiasts.

What interested me was the fact that they have recently acquired track and rolling stock and I thought it would be fascinating to go along and razz some of the movers and shakers on the ins and outs of setting up a preservation trust.
    Well I was met by Malcolm and Ron who have been at the forefront of the society from the offset. First of all, we climbed onto a dilly and took a trip up their 500 yards of track. Next we looked at the engine shed where restoration is in progress on their first loco, a Fox Talbot class 0-6-0 pannier tank, and very busy they were too! Then it was back to the station for a cup of tea from the excellent canteen ran by the wives where we sat down and discussed the intricacies of how they got to where they are today.

Well, from what they told me I'm amazed they ever got off the ground at all. Railtrack didn't want to play ball and sell them any track (part of the old LMS line running out of Green Park Station in Bath) and reaching a deal involved having some very underhand dealings with shady characters in back street bars.

All in all I was so impressed that I've now become a member! I'm also considering making a sizeable financial contribution so I can maybe get on the steering committee and be involved in the decision making process or, failing that, perhaps be immortalised in some way with my name over a door or something. Either way, my sleeves are rolled up and I'm ready for action!
    Last edited by gricerboy; 25 July 2010, 17:58.

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    The BSRS have been in existence for more than 10 years
    More like 30. I went on a Santa special there once when I was a kid.

Comment

I'm also considering making a sizeable financial contribution so I can maybe ... be immortalised in some way with my name over a door or something.
      Yes, they could put signs up on the bog doors: "gricerboys" and "gricergirls".

Fame at last!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Yes, they could put signs up on the bog doors: "gricerboys" and "gricergirls".

Fame at last!
        There's a sign in the bogs of one of the stations round here that reads "Gentlemen, please adjust your dress before leaving". I guess it's either an anachronism from the 1950s or it's put up for the benefit of the cross dressing community.

Comment

Spent an absolutely fascinating Friday at the BSRS in Bitton just outside Bristol. The BSRS have been in existence for more than 10 years ad are made up from everyone from professional types to schoolboy enthusiasts. What interested me was the fact that they have recently acquired track and rolling stock and I thought it would be fascinating to go along and razz some of the movers and shakers on the ins and outs of setting up a preservation trust. Well I was met by Malcolm and Ron who have been at the forefront of the society from the offset. First of all, we climbed onto a dilly and took a trip up their 500 yards of track. Next we looked at the engine shed where restoration is in progress on their first loco, a Fox Talbot class 0-6-0 pannier tank, and very busy they were too! Then it was back to the station for a cup of tea from the excellent canteen ran by the wives where we sat down and discussed the intricacies of how they got to where they are today. Well, from what they told me I'm amazed they ever got off the ground at all. Railtrack didn't want to play ball and sell them any track (part of the old LMS line running out of Green Park Station in Bath) and reaching a deal involved having some very underhand dealings with shady characters in back street bars. All in all I was so impressed that I've now become a member! I'm also considering making a sizeable financial contribution so I can maybe get on the steering committee and be involved in the decision making process or, failing that, perhaps be immortalised in some way with my name over a door or something. Either way, my sleeves are rolled up and I'm ready for action!
          I think I would have read this if you could have been bothered to put paragraphs in it!

A wall of text is a right turn off.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

For Bolshiebastard's benefit:

Spent an absolutely fascinating Friday at the BSRS in Bitton just outside Bristol. The BSRS have been in existence for more than 10 years ad are made up from everyone from professional types to schoolboy enthusiasts. paragraph What interested me was the fact that they have recently acquired track and rolling stock and I thought it would be fascinating to go along and razz some of the movers and shakers on the ins and outs of setting up a preservation trust. paragraph Well I was met by Malcolm and Ron who have been at the forefront of the society from the offset. First of all, we climbed onto a dilly and took a trip up their 500 yards of track. Next we looked at the engine shed where restoration is in progress on their first loco, a Fox Talbot class 0-6-0 pannier tank, and very busy they were too! paragraph Then it was back to the station for a cup of tea from the excellent canteen ran by the wives where we sat down and discussed the intricacies of how they got to where they are today. Well, from what they told me I'm amazed they ever got off the ground at all. Railtrack didn't want to play ball and sell them any track (part of the old LMS line running out of Green Park Station in Bath) and reaching a deal involved having some very underhand dealings with shady characters in back street bars. paragraph All in all I was so impressed that I've now become a member! I'm also considering making a sizeable financial contribution so I can maybe get on the steering committee and be involved in the decision making process or, failing that, perhaps be immortalised in some way with my name over a door or something. Either way, my sleeves are rolled up and I'm ready for action!
            HTH
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 25 July 2010, 16:37.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I've edited the post and added paragraphs for those of you that were having difficulties reading.

Comment

Working...
              X