• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Open letter to motorists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open letter to motorists

Would you please NOT all pull out to overtake on a dual-carriageway the moment you can see a lorry in the distance? Every day I run into a huge queue in the overtaking lane a few times, with the other lane totally empty. Often the queue is so long you can't even see the slow moving vehicle; and it just means we end up doing 1mph faster than the lorry for several minutes.

What's the right thing to do here? If you stay in the slow lane to try and prevent making things worse, I feel a bit guilty, even though I'm not burning up the empty road at 90 like an arse (which is another option). I sometimes hope that pulling back into the slow lane might encourage others to do the same, causing the overall traffic speed to increase, but not sure it works.

On the other hand, only 3 more days commuting then I'm working at home full-time.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    On the other hand, only 3 more days commuting then I'm working at home full-time.
    Give it a couple of weeks and you'll be craving the camaraderie of an overcrowded dual-carriageway.

Comment

I've been doing 60 miles of the A34 twice a day of late, so I know this all too well. One long line of 60mph stressed driving too close drivers in the right hand lane, and virtually nobody on the left.

I have no worries about overtaking people on the left, but the problem is that you'll never find a way back in when you need to (and generally people will try to crash into you rather than let you in). If you move into the left lane then the person behind will take your place and then you end up going backwards.

As you say it's hard to know what to do, other than do what everybody else does and contribute to the problem.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Yeah the moment anyone seems you come past on the 'wrong' side you can see them close any gap to stop you 'cheating'. I do the same thing myself Although I try to only do it to blatant cheeky sods zooming up rather than sensible folk legitimately going faster in the other lane, it's hard not to play the game of blocking people getting in front.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

What's the right thing to do here? If you stay in the slow lane to try and prevent making things worse, I feel a bit guilty, even though I'm not burning up the empty road at 90 like an arse (which is another option). I sometimes hope that pulling back into the slow lane might encourage others to do the same, causing the overall traffic speed to increase, but not sure it works.
          It's going to be worse until September while all the people who don't normally drive on motorways and dual carriageways are on holiday with their kids.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

and I'd like to write an open letter to all the herberts who try and stay on the inside lane and keep weaving in and out to overtake. They're a perfect menace.

Why can't people just stick to the outside lane and floor it, like me?
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Are you contractors or peasants ffs?

Use your helicopter!!!

threaded

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Use your helicopter!!!

threaded
                When you drive a hairdressing peugot I guess flooring it in the outside lane is not an option.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Use your helicopter!!!

threaded
                  Exactly what % of shops, businesses and entertainment venues can be reached by helicopter, would you imagine? In your mind, does being rich bring up a vision of landing your helicopter in the town square and hopping out do do some shopping?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Why can't people just stick to the outside lane and floor it, like me?
                    Cos when the police are behind you it's safer to be on an inside lane as it forces you to stick to the speed limit.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X