• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Do You Manage People?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do You Manage People?

I am a developer who has been asked to PM a project at a French bank...

The way I see it my role is a 'lead developer' - The problem is that the rest of the team are all French , talk amongst themselves in French and ignore any advice I give them

One person in particular has a habit of undermining instructions given to them and they continue to do what they want and how they want to do it.

The desk only seem to care about results so when stuff is requested (and done in VBA which is against policy) the desk seem happy but I am not

I ve tried being nice , harsh and escalating to my manager who is at the whim of the desk himself.

Is it time I left a good role on a good rate becuase of the French ?

You're going to be onto a loser there as you don't speak the lingo.

If someone isn't playing ball and it's causing strife, take them to one side, reason with them, if they continue, then get a replacement resource.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Have you tried talking to the 'difficult' one. Maybe they have some good ideas, a reason why they do what they want?

Personally I like to hear what people have to say, their ideas. I don't 'tell them what to do', we agree together how to move forward.

If they're breaking policy, esclate it.
      Not sure why VBA would be against policy?

Comment

Can't you sack them all and get some Brit contractors in?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Can't you sack them all and get some Brit contractors in?
          Probably can't do that as it would be against company policy.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
          X