• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rootkits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rootkits

Got a PC on the bench from a local customer. Should have been a simple virus removal but then I got the impression it was a rootkit. Every rootkit scanner I have tried cannot find it. All virus scans are clean. All adware scans are clean. Still when surfing I get the same pop up inviting me to download a "dodgy" anti virus program.

FFS
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Probably 3rd party add-on to IE, try disabling those.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Got a PC on the bench from a local customer. Should have been a simple virus removal but then I got the impression it was a rootkit. Every rootkit scanner I have tried cannot find it. All virus scans are clean. All adware scans are clean. Still when surfing I get the same pop up inviting me to download a "dodgy" anti virus program.

FFS
      Why do I get the repeating impression you haven't got the first clue as to what you are doing?

Welcome to Bodge It and Scarper Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Probably 3rd party add-on to IE, try disabling those.
        Yip, that was one of the first things I did.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Why do I get the repeating impression you haven't got the first clue as to what you are doing?

Welcome to Bodge It and Scarper Ltd
          Not really sure. Seeing as you have no clue to the gamut of scans and approaches I have used you are not making an informed decision, rather an ill informed decision while not being in charge of the facts. I have a 100% success rate in removing malware where others have said the machine is a lost cause.

I do hope at work you make informed decisions rather than just wobbling around aimlessly scraping code samples from google and trying to gerry rig something together against a deadline.

Tosspot.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

FFS
            Install Linux, you know it makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
              Install Linux, you know it makes sense
              Ah, an informed decision. Nice one

Comment

Had a dose of this ages ago. Avast sorted it out in the end with one of those boot time scans. I do them on a regular basis now (i.e. about once a week).
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  Had a dose of this ages ago. Avast sorted it out in the end with one of those boot time scans. I do them on a regular basis now (i.e. about once a week).
                  Phone up some bloke from the local Free Ads. They all advertise a 100% success rate.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    Thanks HAB, will look into that one.

Comment

Working...
                    X