• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway signs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorway signs

I took a drive down to Hadrian's Wall country today and on the M6 noticed signs every few hundred yards like

M6
    A

Can't figure out what they mean and googling isn't producing any answers, can anybody enlighten me?
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I took a drive down to Hadrian's Wall country today and on the M6 noticed signs every few hundred yards like

M6
    A

Can't figure out what they mean and googling isn't producing any answers, can anybody enlighten me?
    They are markers to assist emergency services \ police etc identify the exact location on the motorway and which carriageway ie A denotes north and B denotes south side of the M6 for example, where there is an accident or incident.

I think they are about half a kilometer apart
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      They are markers to assist emergency services \ police etc identify the exact location on the motorway and which carriageway ie A denotes north and B denotes south side of the M6 for example, where there is an accident or incident.

I think they are a kilometer apart
      Ahh, thank you.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

According to the highways agency, the last number is the distance from the start of the motorway in km, so 598 was a guess on the highish side?

Comment

For anything to do with British roads, Chris's British Road Directory is the place to start: Driver Location Signs

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            For anything to do with British roads, Chris's British Road Directory is the place to start: Driver Location Signs
            Interesting site.

Didn't know there were Transport fonts
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Interesting site.

Didn't know there were Transport fonts
              The fonts are really cool - I've installed them on my Mac, even though I'll never have any reason to use them

Yes, I know I'm a geek - see Monday Links Vol. XXIV, Link VI

Comment

Working...
              X