• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The definite article (with paragraphs lol!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The definite article (with paragraphs lol!)

As those of you who know me will be aware, I don't partake in the consumption of alcoholic beverages. I do not, however, let this get in the way of having an active social life.

I do confess though that it can be difficult maintaining a conversation with my chums after they've been drinking. Last night was an exception and we had wizard fun chatting about what I'm about to set out below.

It concerns the use of the definite article in names of countries. We spent the evening not only listing those countries that take the definite article but also discussed why it is used. After all, a country name is just a proper noun just like a person's and nobody ever calls me "The Nigel"! Perhaps those countries taking the definite article have a name which is actually a meaningful word, like The Netherlands. But what about The Lebanon? Is that a word?

Here are the ones we thought of in the pub:
    (By the way, no groups of islands like The West I.Indies.)

The Lebanon
    The Netherlands
    The Cameroon

Anyone got any more to add?

A salient point made ny my friend Malcolm was that countries often always take the definite article in foreign languages; e.g. La France, O Brasil.

Anyway, a fun night was had by all!

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post

... I don't partake in the consumption of alcoholic beverages ...
    You mean you don't drink.

(Alcohol is assumed.)

FFS
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

As those of you who know me will be aware, I don't partake in the consumption of alcoholic beverages. I do not, however, let this get in the way of having an active social life.

I do confess though that it can be difficult maintaining a conversation with my chums after they've been drinking. Last night was an exception and we had wizard fun chatting about what I'm about to set out below.

It concerns the use of the definite article in names of countries. We spent the evening not only listing those countries that take the definite article but also discussed why it is used. After all, a country name is just a proper noun just like a person's and nobody ever calls me "The Nigel"! Perhaps those countries taking the definite article have a name which is actually a meaningful word, like The Netherlands. But what about The Lebanon? Is that a word?

Here are the ones we thought of in the pub:
      (By the way, no groups of islands like The West I.Indies.)

The Lebanon
      The Netherlands
      The Cameroon

Anyone got any more to add?

A salient point made ny my friend Malcolm was that countries often always take the definite article in foreign languages; e.g. La France, O Brasil.

Anyway, a fun night was had by all!
      I think that "The Lebanon" and "The Cameroon" in wrong but The Netherlands is ok because it means the low lands.

"The" Ukraine is definatly wrong.
      The Cameroon
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The North Pole
        The South Pole

"no groups of islands" - you'll find that the main usage IS for groups of islands.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

How about The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? Or is that too obvious.

I've never heard The Lebanon or The Cameroon used before.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

I've never heard The Lebanon or The Cameroon used before.
            I think only twunts call it "The Lebanon".
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

yes, people who come from those countries don't like the "The" but I don't know why. The Gambia, The Congo, The Ukraine likewise.
              I think The Maldives and The Seychelles are OK.

Comment

The Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta

(which, according to the UN, is a separate state like the Vatican, and also based in Rome)

Its sovereign status is recognized by membership in numerous international bodies and observer status at the United Nations and others.[29] The Order maintains diplomatic relations with approximately 100 countries, with numerous ambassadors. It issues its own passports, currency, stamps and even vehicle registration plates.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

we had wizard fun chatting about ... those countries that take the definite article but also discussed why it is used.
                  Your friends sound like a hoot!

You really do move in some quite exciting circles

Comment

ny
                    You don't drink alcohol, yet you can't even type a two-letter word correctly?

Top Tip: if you create a sockpuppet that claims not to drink booze, don't post as that sockpuppet after drinking booze

Comment

Working...
                    X