• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Zürich gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Zürich gig

So back from Zürich. Took 5 hours to drive down when Google only said 3 1/2 hours but then it did piss down the whole of the German stretch! Got into the hotel and it was absolutely full of British people so I pretended to be German. Went down for the evening meal and one the Brits sat next to me and I got the explanation of why there were so many. Apparently there was an Iron Man event on over the weekend in which they were all participating. The guy was also a contractor but a slightly different area working at a prestige auto manufacturer in the north west of England. Told me some good stories which I don't think I can reapeat here.

Anyway turned up at the client, 3 non-German speaking Swiss-Italians and 2 Swiss guys. Found out what they wanted which was a little bit different to what I had prepared but it went well. Just before we packed up for the day the boss asked me (more like told me) that if they decide to use the product that I will be doing it all, boomed nearly.

Another 5 hour drive back where once again it pissed down all the way in the German section.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Sounds like it went well.

Fingers crossed.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

WSS.

Darmstadt, you seem to have more work than you can handle. Have you not thought about training someone up and employing them?

Spod - In "Just a thought" mode.

Comment

Could have been 5 hour drive just to get across London! Yours sounds much more interesting and fruitful. Fingers crossed
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

SKA Inc wharf office is about 15 mins drive, have to do it after 9am though as otherwise it would take 45 mins...

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
            WSS.

Darmstadt, you seem to have more work than you can handle. Have you not thought about training someone up and employing them?

Spod - In "Just a thought" mode.
            I know, but first I think I need the training! Most of the contracts I get I do the work by the seat of my pants! I know the products but either haven't used them for years, used them in a different context or only just at a basic level. Read the manuals the day before to catch up and Bob's yer uncle. Really, I think its quite easy as long as you sound like you know what you're talking about and can back some of it up.

Spoke with them today and its now gone up to management, then it goes to their customer, then it goes back to the original client and then to me although I really don't have any spare capacity. However the Köln gig might go tits-up as I still haven't done all the work and maintenance runs out on their hardware on Wednesday when its meant to finish. Not my fault they didn't do any preparation which I had to do nor do they have the tools which any decent company would have to do this. Plus the guy who is my contact at the company I'm doing the sub-contracting for has just been let go so I have no contact there anymore nor do I have any contract, all I ever had was a PO for a few days in April and May which got extended for 60 odd days more. Teleconference tomorrow morning (project leader is ill at home) where I'll lay out the difficulties and what they should have done in the first place...even my pass to get in the building has run out so I just sneak in
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
            X