• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links Lacking a Seating-Related Metaphor Vol. XXX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links Lacking a Seating-Related Metaphor Vol. XXX

Three hundred plus and counting
    • The Burger Lab: The Ins-n-Outs of an In-N-Out Double-Double, Animal-Style - J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, who brought us the perfect french fries in Monday Links XXIII, turns his attention to reverse-engineering a burger that's only available in California, despite being in New York. "$120 in overnight delivery fees later, the UPS man showed up at my door at 9:30 the next morning, golden package in hand. Inside were two regular Double-Doubles, two Animal Style Double-Doubles, two plain cooked beef patties, two packets of Spread, and one large chunk of dry ice..."

• Leonard's old Segfault stories - "From 1998 to 2001 I was an editor, and eventually the editor, of the online geek humor site segfault.org. I'm not particularly proud of this. For the first year of its life, Segfault had an effectively unmoderated comment system, and it bred not only hideous trolls but an entire subculture of hideous trolling..." Leonard Richardson digs out some bits of web history.

• Sledgehammer and Whore - "I write the word 'hooker' on the bottom of the envelope I'm using to take notes and hold it up for the wife. Now, it is perhaps a testimony or a condemnation to the way that I've lived my life that at no point during my conversation with this hooker calling me from my office and asking for payment does my wife for EVEN AN INSTANT think that perhaps, yes, she should be concerned that a hooker is calling her husband at home asking for payment." TV scriptwriter Josh becomes embroiled in a bizarre real-life case of identity theft, burglary, and sex.

• The World's Most Southerly ATM: An Interview With Wells Fargo's David Parker - "I was fascinated when I learned that there was an ATM on Antarctica, specifically at McMurdo Station. Just because, you know, it's not like your local ATM that they can zip a service tech out to. So to sate my curiosity, I gave a ping to Wells Fargo, who manages that ATM--and got a chance to chat with David Parker. All shall be explained."

• Gene Weingarten column mentions Lady Gaga - Washington Post journalist Weingarten bemoans the SEO-driven approach to modern headline writing. "The only really creative opportunity copy editors had was writing headlines, and they took it seriously. This gave the American press some brilliant and memorable moments... There were also memorably wonderful flops, like the famous one on a food story about home canning: YOU CAN PUT PICKLES UP YOURSELF."

• Confirmation bias in science: how to avoid it - Chris Lee explains an important aspect of how science is done. "So that's 32 days from around 730 total. What was all the rest of that time devoted to? Trying to anticipate every possible objection to our approach. Checking if those objections were valid. Trying to find examples of physically realistic parameters to test our model with. Seeing if the code was actually modeling what we thought it was. Making sure that our assumptions were valid. In summary, we were trying to prove ourselves wrong."

• 10 Writing Tips That Can Help Almost Anyone - Great advice from novelist Janet Fitch. "The writer is both a sadist and a masochist. We create people we love, and then we torture them. The more we love them, and the more cleverly we torture them along the lines of their greatest vulnerability and fear, the better the story."

• The Canonical List of Weird Band Names - So, would you like to listen to Lubricated Goat, or would you prefer something by The Four Food Groups of the Apocalypse?

• random thoughts on being an entrepreneur - Cartoonist Hugh Macleod muses on business. "People remember the quality long after they’ve forgotten the price. Unless you try to rip them off."

• Blotter Barn: LSD Blotter Art Archive - In case you don't know, LSD is frequently distributed in the form of little pieces of impregnated blotting paper, usually decorated with weird and wonderful designs. Has any other illegal drug ever inspired such creativity in its packaging? "...when a perfed print has been 'dipped' there remains on the paper a chemical residue that appears as a brownish stain after the paper has aged and been exposed to daylight. The Iso Series prints feature this staining and the effect it has had on the inks and pulp of the paper in high, photographic detail."

Happy invoicing!

Working...
X