• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Money vs Home - who wins?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money vs Home - who wins?

I'm handing my notice in today on a reasonably long term gig in stupid fecking London, for a job on half as much money back home.

Am I mad?

How many of you would choose home over money?

Sal
    xxx
    I would choose the job with the most money.
    27.27%
    I would choose the job at home.
    54.55%
    I would choose any job where I got to fantasise abtut AndyW every day.
    18.18%
    The pope is a tard.

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    I'm handing my notice in today on a reasonably long term gig in stupid fecking London, for a job on half as much money back home.

Am I mad?

Sal
    xxx

The answer is somewhere inbetween and for how long. I'd take the money as a means to an end and for a defined time period. I wouldn't for example be interested in doing it for 20 years and missing my kids growing up. You'll know when the time is right to move on.

PS.
    What's with the xxx? You not getting any in London? It's nearly as annoying as that PZZ twunt.

Comment

The answer is ........ live in London.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Home every time but only because I have a 2 year old.

It's quite liberating to discover that spending less is the same as earning more.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

In this current climate a contract wins hands down, it's location is irrelevent.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            The answer is ........ live in London.
            Both, London is currently my home for the time being so I can earn the money , may move back down to my house in Devon or somewhere equally idyllic at some point, but def not yet.

You say stupid fecking London, move here and enjoy, it has a lot going for it. Lots of negatives too for some folks.

5-10 years ago I would never have believed that I would live here, but thoroughly enjoy it now I am.

Edit : LOL, AndyW is as popular as money and home, must meet this bloke.
            Last edited by Scrag Meister; 27 July 2010, 07:14.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Having never done it, what would most people budget for staying in a hotel in London for 4 nights + meals + tube travel?

Also, how much are the rates you are talking about? Obv the higher the rate, compared to half of it, the better it becomes for staying with the one in London.

Comment

Depends on the rates. Given the cost of living and transport in and to and from London, you might not be much worse off taking a lower rate and staying at home. No point making life difficult to only get a couple of hundred pounds per month extra profit. A couple of thousand is a different matter.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

This is why I stipulate the ability to work from home for at least a couple of days a week for any contracts which are far enough away for an overnight stay to be involved.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post

Am I mad?

Sal
                    xxx
                    Am I Mad ?

But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cheshire Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cheshire Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Home is where the heart is - a good choice Sally.

Comment

Working...
                    X