• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you got it? What do you use it for (e.g. for free calls to Skype users, calling mobile phones, international calls or all the time)?

I installed it on my iTouch yesterday, prior to which I had been testing out the availability of Skype-working WiFi hotspots around town, sans microphone and Skype credit. Loads of places appeared to work. So after researching the cheapest microphone* I could find on Amazon, I bought the expensive one from the aPple sTore anyway; this was at least twice the cost of an identical looking one on Amazon. I was hoping it would be functional as a microphone on my PC too, but alas restrictions listed on the bOx appear to be accurate. I'd been tempted by an even cheaper microphone about the size of a fingernail that had no wires which would allow the iTouch to be used like a regular phone using the external speaker, but decided against it on the weak basis that if this kind of mic and mode of communication were any good with the iTouch, it would be more popular. It would have saved carrying constantly tangled headphones around. Anyway, Skype seems to work with a clarity of call surpassing my (old) landline phone. Now all I have to do is remember to use Skype every month or so or lose my £10 credit.

*Jeez, microphones have become small and powerful. Not much bigger than a pinhead by the look of it. Shame they don't work on Apple products and PCs.
    Yes
    83.33%
    No
    5.56%
    Other similar
    0.00%
    AndyW likes to talk bolluks on Skype
    11.11%
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 27 July 2010, 09:22.

I use skype chat for communicating with our dev team in the Far East.

Clientco have got Cisco communicator but nobody uses it!
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Use it pretty heavily (do lots of international calls). Got it on my landline handset, my mobile (3 mobile so no data charges/usage) and PC (either headset or just cam mic depending on how important clarity is for that particular call)

Also got a few local numbers around the world attached to it to allow people to call me "for free" without skype, which by combineing with call forwarding don't even need to have skype turned on

Comment

Same, use it on an N900 for calling home when I am away so can chat to the whole family while I am away for free. Cracking piece of kit.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          I use skype chat for communicating with our dev team in the Far East.

Clientco have got Cisco communicator but nobody uses it!
          whs

clientco has all sorts of expensive tools, but we use skype
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yep, have it on my laptop and use it for calls domestic and international. As for mcrophone I use the same bluetooth headset on my laptop as I do for my mobile phone.

Comment

You know you can set up Shared Groups on Skype and start a conversation which includes everyone in that group?

Does anyone know how you can remove yourself from such a group?

I'm still part of a developers group from an old client and occasionally I still get messages when someone sends a message to the group. I can't find any way to remove myself, and even the guy who set the group up can't find a way to remove me!

It's probably somewhere really obvious, but we can't find it.

Skype's help pages say:

Can I remove members from a Shared Group?

No you cannot delete other members from a shared group. You can only remove yourself from the group

How can I leave a Shared Group?

To leave a shared group, right-click on the group and select Remove Group.
              Must be the second one, right? But I've right-clicked on every mention of the group that I can find and there is never an option to Remove Group.

Comment

I use the video function to chat to mates over a cup of tea. But only those who have worked for telecoms use this bit, as they already use it for remote meetings.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Sister now lives in New Zealand so is good to talk to her. Other than that I don't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                    You know you can set up Shared Groups on Skype and start a conversation which includes everyone in that group?

Does anyone know how you can remove yourself from such a group?

I'm still part of a developers group from an old client and occasionally I still get messages when someone sends a message to the group. I can't find any way to remove myself, and even the guy who set the group up can't find a way to remove me!

It's probably somewhere really obvious, but we can't find it..
                    Don't know the right way, can you just block the people from contacting you?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X