• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fake coins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake coins

The Bank of England has competition:
    There are now so many fake £1 coins in circulation the Royal Mint could be forced to scrap all of the coins and reissue the entire denomination.
    Record number of fake £1 coins
    They could always replace them with a £10 note.

The biggest losers are small shopkeepers who are not refunded by banks if they send fake coins from their tills.

Pah. Small shopkeepers don't bank pound coins, they just give them back as change.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      The biggest losers are small shopkeepers who are not refunded by banks if they send fake coins from their tills.

Pah. Small shopkeepers don't bank pound coins, they just give them back as change.
      I suspect they do have £5 notes in the till when they tell you they haven't got any, while gleefully handing you a pocket full of pound coins. Either that, or they have someone come around and take away the notes at regular intervals so that they can palm coins off on customers.

Comment

Do banks do anything with bags of coins except recycle them back to shop keepers?

If I take a bag of £1 coins in and bank the proceeds, I'm pretty sure the bank doesn't track where that bag of coins has come from, much less check each individual coin for validity.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Just remember one thing - if you are using a coin that you are aware as a fake then in all probability you are committing a serious crime...

Comment

Does it really matter with a fiat currency? The coin symbolises a value of £1, so surely a "fake" can do that as well as a "real" one?
            What does the value of £1 really mean?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              The coin symbolises a value of £1, so surely a "fake" can do that as well as a "real" one?
              Good point. By the way could you lend me a tenner? I'll pay you back when I've finished writing "£1" on all these cardboard circles.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Does it really matter with a fiat currency? The coin symbolises a value of £1, so surely a "fake" can do that as well as a "real" one?
                What does the value of £1 really mean?
                It might even save us a few quid if counterfeiters can make them less expensively then the Royal Mint too.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Just remember one thing - if you are using a coin that you are aware as a fake then in all probability you are committing a serious crime...
                  Could you be any more vague?
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Could you be any more vague?
                    Yes.

Comment

Working...
                    X