• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flights to Dundee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flights to Dundee

Just got another contract offer through which is one I would really like to do as they won't be able to find anyone else and from a technology point of view) and its part time as well. Putting together the rate is a pain basically because its on the North-West coast of Scotland and I know UK rates are pretty crap so whatever I ask for is liable to be too much still...Then I have to factor in my expenses, hotel is okay but working out flights makes it unviable. The cheapest I found was €638 and that takes nearly 12 hours with stopovers in Paris and City airport. A decent flight time with only 1 stopover is €1455 There are no direct flights from Frankfurt to where it is yet so looks like I'll have to pass (I suppose I could take a months holiday and do it all in one go...hmmm)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Why don't you fly to Edinburgh and drive or take the train?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Or maybe even Aberdeen, and do the same?
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

This brings up memories...

I had one of my first job interviews back in 1999 with a games company based in Dundee (founder was the guy who invented lemmings), wrote C code that solved their simple problems and got interview... by the time I got there from Midlands it was like 1pm and the last train to "mainland" was like at 3pm

During interview I mainly cared about getting the hell out of there in order to catch that last train

Comment

Depends how long the contract is

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Just got another contract offer through which is one I would really like to do as they won't be able to find anyone else and from a technology point of view) and its part time as well. Putting together the rate is a pain basically because its on the North-West coast of Scotland and I know UK rates are pretty crap so whatever I ask for is liable to be too much still...Then I have to factor in my expenses, hotel is okay but working out flights makes it unviable. The cheapest I found was €638 and that takes nearly 12 hours with stopovers in Paris and City airport. A decent flight time with only 1 stopover is €1455 There are no direct flights from Frankfurt to where it is yet so looks like I'll have to pass (I suppose I could take a months holiday and do it all in one go...hmmm)
          There will always places that are impossible to reach no matter where you live. Frankfurt to Tel Aviv
          would be easier and a bit more exotic. Depends how much you want to go to Dundee. I once did 3 weeks in Aberdeen from Brussels via Glascow and train and broke even which was better than sitting on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
            There will always places that are impossible to reach no matter where you live. Frankfurt to Tel Aviv
            would be easier and a bit more exotic. Depends how much you want to go to Dundee. I once did 3 weeks in Aberdeen from Brussels via Glascow and train and broke even which was better than sitting on the bench.
            Done the Frankfurt to Tel Aviv working gig already, nice if you like having to get to the airport extra early due to all the extra security checks. I once spent 4 hours getting through security in Tel Aviv. Mind you, part of the contract meant spending (paid) day on the beach while waiting for a part to be delivered. Best suntan I got for ages
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Too much hassle for me, although if they agree to some conditions then it might be worth looking into. The company who it is for paid me CHF440 a day last week so if they do that for this one then it will be worth it. I need to get from my contract in Münster down to Frankfurt, change of clothes and then up to Dundee for 2 days of the week.

But then again, just got a mail from guy I worked with the States offering me some remote work for one of their customers over there, now thats a lot easier as I can do it from my hotel room Plus a tip about a company that is going to come calling for me to help them here in EMEA

No direct flights to Dundee from mainland Europe: Flights from Dundee Airport so either a stopover or Edinburgh it is
              Last edited by darmstadt; 28 July 2010, 19:58.

Comment

Rosyth-Zeebrugge ferry sailings with Norfolkline
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

As somebody said before I would have thought a flight to Aberdeen and the train down would be the easiest option. There are tons of flights to aberdeen and dundee is pretty close!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

If - as you claim - you are spoilt for choice with all these contract offers - why bother at all ?

Comment

Working...
                    X