• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Inflay........SHUN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Inflay........SHUN

The Death of Paper Money - Telegraph

Milan.

The price of the book advertised in the article has already hyper-inflated. $250 on Amazon.com, but a bargain at £228 at Amazon.co.uk. The paperback edition is cheaper though.

Comment

A young Ernest Hemingway happened to be travelling, with his wife, through history in the making. Working for the Toronto Daily Star, Hemingway crossed the frontier from France during the monetary horror and had the following experience:

"There were no marks to be had in Strasbourg, the mounting exchange had cleared the bankers out days ago, so we changed some French money in the railway station at Kehl. For 10 francs I received 670 marks. Ten francs amounted to about 90 cents in Canadian money. That 90 cents lasted Mrs Hemingway and me for a day of heavy spending and at the end of the day we had 120 marks left !

"Our first purchase was from a fruit stand.. We picked out five very good looking apples and gave the old woman a 50-mark note. She gave us back 38 marks in change. A very nice looking, white bearded old gentleman saw us buy the apples and raised his hat.

`Pardon me, sir,' he said, rather timidly, in German, `how much were the apples ?'

"I counted the change and told him 12 marks.

"He smiled and shook his head. `I can't pay it. It is too much.'
      The difference between holding good currency and bad currency.

Comment

Working...
      X