PDA

View Full Version : How long.....

brocky
29th July 2010, 12:23
......is it before you're trusted enough to be able to post on this forum without your posts being checked over first? Really fustrating!!!

<mod> after 6 posts </mod>

....and when can I be given access to modify my profile?? No idea why i dont have access as yet....suppose it stops me writing liablous lie about myself and liaisons with goats and the like!!

<mod> try reading the T & C's</mod>

northernladuk
29th July 2010, 14:17
......is it before you're trusted enough to be able to post on this forum without your posts being checked over first? Really fustrating!!!

<mod> after 6 posts </mod>

....and when can I be given access to modify my profile?? No idea why i dont have access as yet....suppose it stops me writing liablous lie about myself and liaisons with goats and the like!!

And you wonder why this is system is in place LOL.

brocky
29th July 2010, 14:27
Assumed the system was in place to stop spam but thansk for the comment.

The latter part of the post was somewhat tongue in cheek.....for the record, I have never engaged in any activity I'm ashamed of with goats. Pigs and dogs maybe, but thats an entirely different story!

minestrone
29th July 2010, 20:59
Admin, could you not place captcha in the new post page for folk under 10 posts rather than the moderation stuff?

There is a trend of folk saying this pisses them off and we do like fresh meat in general.

MarillionFan
29th July 2010, 21:57
Admin, could you not place captcha in the new post page for folk under 10 posts rather than the moderation stuff?

There is a trend of folk saying this pisses them off and we do like fresh meat in general.

I have to agree

you only have to look at at evenings posts to see how dead the site has become.

New posters are put off

cojak
30th July 2010, 07:28
There's a reasonable amount of spammers that you don't get to see, but I guess we could scrape them off once they appear.

I'll draw admin's attention to your request.

Bear in mind that everyone appears busy/on holiday at the moment and I think I'm the only one holding the fort, and since I'm in contract, I only get to approve posts 2 or 3 times a day.*

(*not a complaint, merely an observation...)

brocky
30th July 2010, 11:52
.........and we do like fresh meat in general.

Ahhhh....I'm touched.

northernladuk
30th July 2010, 13:06
Ahhhh....I'm touched.

You met HAB then I see.

Gonzo
31st July 2010, 10:40
Assumed the system was in place to stop spam but thansk for the comment.Spam is not the issue, it can be dealt with.

The problem that has been experienced in the past is that staff from one service provider will pose as disgruntled customers of their competitors, that's what needs to be weeded out.

cojak
31st July 2010, 13:57
Spam is not the issue, it can be dealt with.

The problem that has been experienced in the past is that staff from one service provider will pose as disgruntled customers of their competitors, that's what needs to be weeded out.

That can still be dealt with if people report said posts. We could then review reported new posts and deal with them.

But I must admit it is quicker to look at the moderator queue than crawl through all the forums retrospectively just in case something has got through.

The regulars would be expected to report dodgy posts more often with an open house policy.

NotAllThere
31st July 2010, 20:35
I'm back now (11 hour drive from the South of France... :freaky: ). Captcha is great for weeding out spambots (and for assisting in digitising printed works). But not so good for keeping out spammers, and others with agendas.

Congrgatio
24th August 2010, 10:36
I have to agree

you only have to look at at evenings posts to see how dead the site has become.

New posters are put off

I joined the forums yesterday and added a few replies where I though I would add value. Non are showing so as a newb to this forum its makes me think what was the point spending an hour sharing experience / thoughts for the mod simply to delete it?

Spam is always an issue on VB forums, thats why I stopped recommending it to clients (its a good package, but the spammers love it). If you simply delete all the posts then guess what, you wont get eny new members posting. Notwithstadning that, it seems pretty elitest on here, most people that do post get ripped apart, its more akin to a dog fight than a community sometimes. That why I decided to join, try and add a bit of value.:ladybags:

Anyway, if this reply doen't make it then I wont bother with the forums in future.

NotAllThere
24th August 2010, 11:50
There you go. This one only took an hour and a half to become visible.

MarillionFan
24th August 2010, 12:25
I would suggest turning the moderation off on Newbies for a while and see what effect it has.

If it turns into a royal pain in the ass, turn it back on again.

Congrgatio
24th August 2010, 12:48
Moderation is a double edged sword. I hope I didn't come across as too surly. Vbulletin is a superb platform but it does attract a lot of Spammers, not as much as wordpress but pretty close.

It is an awkward juggle and not all those who have their replies deleted will make the effort to post again afterwards. I ran Vbulletin on a number of sites for a few year. Initailly the most effective anti spam approach was a blanket banning IP blocks which worked pretty well for a while and kept most spammers away. After that I blocked using specific email patterns (.ru being a primary one). Trouble is that most spammers opt for gmail these days and we all know that a good deal of real people do too.

Moderation is always needed to a certain extent, but its a horrible job at worst, tedious at best.

I usually watch for patterns in IP and email addresses, after a few months of filtering moderation because far easier.... Don't mean to preach to the converted, just sharing the love :). Dont know how much VB 4.o has done to reduce the spam problem, they are a grat team but they have been hung by spammers for years.

Anyone else operating a Vbulletin forum who may be able to help?

cojak
24th August 2010, 13:16
Notwithstadning that, it seems pretty elitest on here, most people that do post get ripped apart, its more akin to a dog fight than a community sometimes. That why I decided to join, try and add a bit of value.:ladybags:

Anyway, if this reply doen't make it then I wont bother with the forums in future.

A community??? Good grief we're contractors, not ukulele players! Of course it's fiesty on here - it's just as fiesty out there in contractland.

(Apols if we deleted you before Congrgatio, we usually let most newbies through unless they're spammers or obvious sockies...)

Congrgatio
24th August 2010, 13:25
A community??? Good grief we're contractors, not ukulele players! Of course it's fiesty on here - it's just as fiesty out there in contractland.

(Apols if we deleted you before Congrgatio, we usually let most newbies through unless they're spammers or obvious sockies...)

Completely agree, its a battle and thats why I've always stuck with it, contracting is a state of mind. Its not always a good idea to shred those new to contracting though, it is a transition but its not impossible. I can play the spoons if we need to get musical :)

No worries on the deletes, it happens. :spank::spank:

cojak
24th August 2010, 13:51
That's why we encourage newbies to post in our Welcome/FAQ forum. We're harsher to those cutting up newbies here.

Congrgatio
24th August 2010, 13:59
Fair comment, I have read through the post and used advise from here sporadically for a few years so I can't quibble. I tend to spend around 50% of my time at home these days so will try and provide some help for those starting out. Its peaks and troughs in the industry at the moment as you know, tricky time to take the plunge but also the most rewarding for those who are savvy enough.
Recessions are always good for trimming the wide boys.

MarillionFan
24th August 2010, 14:45
I always try to welcome all Newbies to the board in the style they would be welcomed if they went up against me for a contract.

Cursory nod, little wink and smile, and then I eat them for breakfast.

Wodewick
24th August 2010, 20:09
Completely agree, its a battle and thats why I've always stuck with it, contracting is a state of mind. Its not always a good idea to shred those new to contracting though, it is a transition but its not impossible. I can play the spoons if we need to get musical :)

No worries on the deletes, it happens. :spank::spank:

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

realityhack
26th August 2010, 22:57
Fair comment, I have read through the post and used advise from here sporadically for a few years so I can't quibble. I tend to spend around 50% of my time at home these days so will try and provide some help for those starting out.
Congrgatio - welcome to the board. :wave:

We don't normally delete anything other than the obvious spam & sockie rubbish.

Any useful feedback you may have here for those starting out will, I don't doubt, be appreciated.

Venture into the 'Social' forum with thick skin. Venture anywhere else and get flamed? Let us know.