• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Name dropping at interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name dropping at interviews

I am with a large blue chip and have managed to get an ex colleague of mine an interview here. Well I found out about the role, put him in touch with agent and helped advise which experience to put on his CV to suit the client. Now he is going for a role in a different department that delivers to my workstream but none of the guys I am involved with are linked to this role. I do know the names involved but not the people so have resisted the temptation to go through the back door.

I am obviously going to advise on the role before he goes for interview as part of his research, no secrets or anything, just using knowledge of the role.

Now how far can you use this insider knowledge? Would it be beneficial for him to say he is aware of some of the large internal projects this team is dealing with? Would it score points or go against him if he mentions he has colleagues working in <xxxxxx> and so is aware of the the culture/role/projects? Part of me thinks this happens, nothing new and it gives him a head start over others, the other part of me thinks the interview might see his interview as false and doctored so not warm to him?

What are peoples thoughts?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Now how far can you use this insider knowledge? Would it be beneficial for him to say he is aware of some of the large internal projects this team is dealing with? Would it score points or go against him if he mentions he has colleagues working in <xxxxxx> and so is aware of the the culture/role/projects? Part of me thinks this happens, nothing new and it gives him a head start over others, the other part of me thinks the interview might see his interview as false and doctored so not warm to him?

I think he should mention it. Probably not at the beginning, but if the interview is going well towards the end. Psychologically, I think people like employing others who know someone within the company, it's part of wanting to be in the "same gang". Which is also why you seem to have the same numbskulls getting jobs high up yet again in another company when they can be inept.

As long as the department reporting into your workstream has a good relationship with your department that is. If not I'd keep quiet. I work for big media companies and it all seems very incestuous, today I've a phone interview with someone that I know will have checked me out, and I'll name-drop as needed. But I'll make sure it's the right people, as in those I know have done a good job.

I wouldn't go into too much detail about the projects being worked on though, as if I was interviewing I'd be trying to work out if too much had been said or maybe be concerned about confidentiality.

Good luck to your friend.

Comment

I am with a large blue chip and have managed to get an ex colleague of mine an interview here. Well I found out about the role, put him in touch with agent and helped advise which experience to put on his CV to suit the client. Now he is going for a role in a different department that delivers to my workstream but none of the guys I am involved with are linked to this role. I do know the names involved but not the people so have resisted the temptation to go through the back door.

I am obviously going to advise on the role before he goes for interview as part of his research, no secrets or anything, just using knowledge of the role.

I cant see it doing any harm unless he labours the point he knows people.....and he quotes people he knows who are see as being a pain in the bum.

Last interview I had (strangely for a big blue chip in the north) I gave the names of another couple of guys who are working for the same company, the recruiting manager gave them a call before my interview, asked about me and my experience and given the interview lastest around ten minutes, I assume I had the job before I walked through the door purely based on their opinion. I'd suggest naming names also takes a little bit of the risk out for the recruiting manager, if you're cr@p, he can at least say 'well, I wasnt sure but because he knoew XXX realy well, I thought I'd give him a shot'.

Mentioning an awareness of internal project is always a good move I find. The recruiting manager knows you're familiar with whats going on and havent been phased / put off and you understand what type of work are going on, also shows some initative and a desire for the job that you've done your homework. From the interviewees perspective, you can better relate your skill set to the position / organisation. Win win I'd say!

In summary though NorthernLad, in your position, I'd just give the guy as much detail as you can and leave him/her to do the rest. I'd also say whilst your name can be dropped, not to push it or it could damage your reputation within the company (especially if you're form a similar background and he end up performing poorly).

Comment

I also agree that it can't hurt as long as he's reasonably subtle about it.

it hardly counts as insider trading.......

Comment

NL. There is nothing wrong with name dropping during the interview. In fact it can be quite beneficial. It's difficult if he starts dropping in about projects, as this is a little too much inside, but public domain is good.

For example, in yours and your friends case, there is nothing wrong with telling him that the kitchen gets it's meat products from Birds Eye and that you use Fairy Liquid for your dishwashing job.

HTH

MF
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
          X