PDA

View Full Version : Client micro-management

Mustang
30th July 2010, 09:24
Slowly adjusting to the ways of this client. First experience of the public sector so it's taking a while and all my patience. :rolleyes:

Got a reply from my client contact (who signs my timesheets) last night regarding an email I sent......

By the way, is there any reason why you are copying XXX into your emails? In case there is a mix up somewhere, this is not necessary and I will ask that you discontinue this practice. If on the other hand you’ve asked to, then you and I need to have a chat about it

I am fuming and starting to think that this gig is not for me!! :tantrum:

The project work is getting quite interesting but the beauracracy, lack of accountability and tulip makes me so mad!! :(

Spacecadet
30th July 2010, 09:32
public sector work is something you're born to do, it cannot be learnt

shaunbhoy
30th July 2010, 09:36
public sector work is something you're born to do, it cannot be learnt

And you need to be on a particular section of the Autistic Spectrum to be able to handle it for any length of time. If not it will tip you over the edge.

HTH

AtW
30th July 2010, 09:39
And you need to be on a particular section of the Autistic Spectrum to be able to handle it for any length of time. If not it will tip you over the edge.

HTH

And which part of the spectrum you are from? :eyes

shaunbhoy
30th July 2010, 09:43
And which part of the spectrum you are from? :eyes

I rest my case!!

:laugh

norrahe
30th July 2010, 09:48
Slowly adjusting to the ways of this client. First experience of the public sector so it's taking a while and all my patience. :rolleyes:

Got a reply from my client contact (who signs my timesheets) last night regarding an email I sent......

I am fuming and starting to think that this gig is not for me!! :tantrum:

The project work is getting quite interesting but the beauracracy, lack of accountability and tulip makes me so mad!! :(

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sounds like a nightmare.

Paranoia central, you need to find summat decent.

stillooking
30th July 2010, 10:17
" If on the other hand you’ve asked to, then you and I need to have a chat about it " -

are you copying people in willy nilly?:smile

Mustang
30th July 2010, 13:11
are you copying people in willy nilly?:smile

Nope - just those appropriate for the content as anyone would..........!! :rolleyes:

northernladuk
30th July 2010, 13:15
Nope - just those appropriate for the content as anyone would..........!! :rolleyes:

Surely the thing to do in a culture such as that would be then to forward these comments on to <xxxxx> and then let them dook it out between them while you take bets?

Zippy
30th July 2010, 13:15

Have you accidentally dropped MicroManager in it? Has he been trying to keep tings to himself?

Mustang
30th July 2010, 13:28
.......would be then to forward these comments on to <xxxxx> and then let them dook it out between them while you take bets?

Essentially that is what I have done. I spoke to XXX this morning and she said that Ms MicroManager was involving me in office politics. I have asked Ms MM to explain her concerns in more detail.

Mustang
30th July 2010, 13:30
Have you accidentally dropped MicroManager in it?

Not at all. When I spoke to XXX I was told it was appropriate for her to be copied in.

Has she been trying to keep tings to himself?

Not that I am aware of.....! She is just a carp manager and unable to deal with someone that is more qualified and has more experience than her..........!

stillooking
30th July 2010, 13:37

:rolleyes:

anyone? really?

you've never had e-mails from people telling you something that is of no interest / relevance?

Mustang
30th July 2010, 13:50
you've never had e-mails from people telling you something that is of no interest / relevance?

Did you not note the sarcasm?! :) I meant to say "anyone smart".....!! :D HTH

norrahe
30th July 2010, 14:59
Not at all. When I spoke to XXX I was told it was appropriate for her to be copied in.

Not that I am aware of.....! She is just a carp manager and unable to deal with someone that is more qualified and has more experience than her..........!

I really hate people like that, they always try and muscle in on the people they feel threatened by.

stillooking
30th July 2010, 15:12
Did you not note the sarcasm?! :) I meant to say "anyone smart".....!! :D HTH

some of the emoticons can be a bit confusing/misleading, for a dinosaur (like me).:smile

Zippy
30th July 2010, 15:19
some of the emoticons can be a bit confusing/misleading, for a dinosaur (like me).:smile

You need one of these http://www.messentools.com/images/emoticones/animals/www.MessenTools.com-Animals-big-15.gif (http://www.messentools.com/en/msn-emoticon-details-and-download/id/170/)

mudskipper
30th July 2010, 15:22
You need one of these http://www.messentools.com/images/emoticones/animals/www.MessenTools.com-Animals-big-15.gif (http://www.messentools.com/en/msn-emoticon-details-and-download/id/170/)

A dinosaur with worms?

northernladuk
30th July 2010, 15:35

Which then means that her job is not unique to her and could be in danger of being chopped and her duties passed to others that are aware of and are quite capable of what she did. This seemed to be the main focus in the one public sector client I had. Project could go to rat shit for all they cared as long as their jobs were safe.

stillooking
30th July 2010, 16:04
A dinosaur with worms?

??

stillooking
30th July 2010, 16:16
Which then means that her job is not unique to her and could be in danger of being chopped and her duties passed to others that are aware of and are quite capable of what she did. This seemed to be the main focus in the one public sector client I had. Project could go to rat tulip for all they cared as long as their jobs were safe.

It's like this at all the places I've been working at recently (public sector).

Public sector white collar -

First of all get in there, feet under table.
Get the pension/perks.
Make sure you keep yr line manager sweet (unless you're in a union).
Write the line "I will do better next year" a thousand times for your performance appraisal (and do this every year).

Do nothing effectual for 30 years.
Then get pensioned off, hopefully very early thus burdening the taxpayer even more.
Then die.

A bit sweeping perhaps, but there you go

Mustang
2nd August 2010, 08:44
Public sector white collar -

First of all get in there, feet under table.
Get the pension/perks.
Make sure you keep yr line manager sweet (unless you're in a union).
Write the line "I will do better next year" a thousand times for your performance appraisal (and do this every year).

Do nothing effectual for 30 years.

The longer I stay in this gig (now 2 months in) the more I realise what I have let myself in for. The above is so true!! No accountability in any part of the organisation. IT are the low life compared to the clinicians. Even the other contractors are developing a public sector mentality!!! :eek:

If I stay the 12 months it will be a miracle!! :happy If I do, I will have to jump straight into a private sector contract to cleanse myself!! :rollin:

Clippy
2nd August 2010, 09:54
The longer I stay in this gig (now 2 months in) the more I realise what I have let myself in for. The above is so true!! No accountability in any part of the organisation. IT are the low life compared to the clinicians. Even the other contractors are developing a public sector mentality!!! :eek:

If I stay the 12 months it will be a miracle!! :happy If I do, I will have to jump straight into a private sector contract to cleanse myself!! :rollin:

Assuming the private sector will touch you now that you have been molested by the public sector. :laugh

stillooking
2nd August 2010, 15:02
Assuming the private sector will touch you now that you have been molested by the public sector. :laugh

There might be a bit of truth in that, I've not had a proper plc gig since I first went into the public sector about 5 yrs ago.

stillooking
2nd August 2010, 15:09

Ah well; don't fret too much. Just go with the flow & culture.:happy

Speaking from experience, there are public sector places that are not so nice, so just be thankful it's ok?

I've worked in the health sector, it's not too bad where I contracted and would go back again.

original PM
2nd August 2010, 16:16
you don't just get this empire building office politics tulip in public sector only.

It all depends on the outlook of senior managment regardless of where you are

well from my experiences anyway.

either way - Keep calm and carry on!

PM-Junkie
2nd August 2010, 17:36
There might be a bit of truth in that, I've not had a proper plc gig since I first went into the public sector about 5 yrs ago.

There is. A lot.

I work in the private sector and when I have vacancies to fill I wouldn't touch someone from the public sector with a bargepole. And I am definitely not in the minority judging by comments from others.

stillooking
2nd August 2010, 17:50
There is. A lot.

I work in the private sector and when I have vacancies to fill I wouldn't touch someone from the public sector with a bargepole. And I am definitely not in the minority judging by comments from others.

are we talking about vacancies for permie's?

PM-Junkie
2nd August 2010, 17:57
are we talking about vacancies for permie's?

they don't let contractors recruit permies. The most I can do is "assist" with recruiting permies ;)

....but hey, wouldn't it be fun if we could??

stillooking
3rd August 2010, 10:10
they don't let contractors recruit permies. The most I can do is "assist" with recruiting permies ;)

....but hey, wouldn't it be fun if we could??

I understand (I think), you don't recruit contractors yourself.

Yes, agree on last comment above;

Sysman
3rd August 2010, 11:08
Which then means that her job is not unique to her and could be in danger of being chopped and her duties passed to others that are aware of and are quite capable of what she did. This seemed to be the main focus in the one public sector client I had. Project could go to rat tulip for all they cared as long as their jobs were safe.

In my brief exposure to the public sector everything had to go up and down the command pyramid, i.e communication via the bosses and no collaboration between members of different teams.