• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK gov sticks to IE 6

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK gov sticks to IE 6

UK.gov sticks to IE 6 cos it's more 'cost effective', innit

And why not? They should not be visiting sites like Facebook and everything else that requires newer browsers anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      And why not?
      Because Microsoft is going to stop supporting it soon?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Didn't we have a flame war over IE 6 some time ago?

Apparently 'nobody' uses it. (Just checked HAB Inc - IE 6: 24.6%.)

I agree, it's a pain in the wotnots, but it's impossible to get away from it.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Exactly. When they say "To test all the web applications currently used by HMG departments can take months at significant potential cost to the taxpayer. It is therefore more cost effective in many cases to continue to use IE6..." they're just ignoring the fact that IE6 will be EOL in a couple of years (it should have been this month - and in fact is for IE6 on XP SP2 - but there you go), and they'll have to spend that money then anyway. Furthermore, they'll inevitably leave it too late and finish up scrambling to get everything sorted out in time, which will end up costing more than if they embarked on a programme of fixing their broken tulip now.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Then they should switch to FireFox 2.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Exactly. When they say "To test all the web applications currently used by HMG departments can take months at significant potential cost to the taxpayer. It is therefore more cost effective in many cases to continue to use IE6..." they're just ignoring the fact that IE6 will be EOL in a couple of years (it should have been this month - and in fact is for IE6 on XP SP2 - but there you go), and they'll have to spend that money then anyway. Furthermore, they'll inevitably leave it too late and finish up hiring lots of contractors to get everything sorted out in time, which will end up costing more than if they embarked on a programme of fixing their broken tulip now.

oh and
              Cats are evil.

Comment

A very (very) large corporate user of IE6 that I know has just emailed all staff and contractors advising them to switch to Firefox 3, plus there's a plugin which gives FF compatibility with most of their corporate browser-based apps.

Comment

I'm pretty sure IE6 will carry on working when it is no longer supported. When was the last time you phone up MS and asked for support?

I agree that in many cases it's better to replace these apps on some rolling basis rather than get them all updated, though it depends if they do anything using IE-specific features or are just in need of some CSS fixes.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This is all about their internal apps, which is no big deal really. It's no different from having some old bit of internal bespoke software which has been in use since 1997 or something. It's just that this stuff runs in an old browser rather than some terminal in the corner of the office or something.

The workers can always install FF, Chrome, Opera or whatever if they want to use the web properly.

Or do they mean they're going to continue to develop brand new applications which only work in IE6???

Comment

Working...
                    X