• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your home town

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your home town

If my parents still didn't live in the town where I grew up I'd never set foot in the place again. Despite the 'Proud Heritage...' signs all over the place it was a tuliphole when I was growing up and it's worse now.

Your thoughts on your own home towns?
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    If my parents still didn't live in the town where I grew up I'd never set foot in the place again. Despite the 'Proud Heritage...' signs all over the place it was a tuliphole when I was growing up and it's worse now.

I'd love to go back to live in mine and bring my kids up there. Not enough IT jobs available though so it's a non-starter.

Comment

It's wonderful. In fact I would say it's capital.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

tulip hole. Glad I left. Folks moved away to the countryside too.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Infested with hicks and racists.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

my OH was once interviewed and asked about 'the strangest place he'd ever had sex'... his answer?

my home town (not his!!!)

Comment

I would have loved to have gone back to my home town at one point in time, but the work prospects were limited. It's still a beautiful place as long as you steer clear of certain well known bits in the town centre (and a few council estates which were always rough, Gawd knows what they are like now).

I can't see myself going back, and at the moment I work in a very pleasant environment - light airy offices by a river you can swim in, scenic 20 minute commute et cetera.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post

my OH was once interviewed and asked about 'the strangest place he'd ever had sex'... his answer?

my home town (not his!!!)
                I thought we agreed you wouldn't discuss that in public
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Lightship
                  I left my home town of London in 1993.

I have not been back since then, except for the occasional visit of a week or two every couple of years.
                  Would you want to go back?
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I bought a place back in my home town about 10 years ago and absolutley love it.

Tomorrow (weather permitting) myself and Mrs PL will go out for a cycle along the clifftops and down to a pub on the seafront over looking a small island for lunch.

The journey home will involve cycling through a country park with two lakes, maybe feed the swans and then along a country road past a couple of farms.

In the evening a five pound taxi ride will get us in to the centre of the city where there is a free concert going on. I think it's Feeder and Athlete - Nothing huge I grant you but it's free and there should be a good atmosphere.

Monday - I'm fifteen mins from the airport where every few hours a flight leaves for one of the biggest hubs in Europe. Theres no traffic as you're heading away from the city.

I've rented in Birmingham, Manchester and other big cities in Europe. For some reason I've never felt as comfortable there as I do where I now live.

Happy days.

Comment

Working...
                    X