• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to own up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to own up

From the CUK news it seems that the Inland Revenue have noticed that people have been making withdrawals from their Limited Companies that are not within the rules.

Taxman aware of sharp rise in illegal dividends :: Contractor UK

So, who is going to own up?

Poll to follow (When I say own up, I don't really mean that I am going to make the poll public or anything, I'm just looking for a feel for the scale of the issue).
    I don't have enough left for next years tax bill after the dividends I have paid myself
    0.00%
    My Director's Loan Account is well over £5,000
    11.11%
    My accounts are squeaky clean
    88.89%

Andyw's mum does my bookkeeping - that way all my bit's are kept clean.

None of this matters to me. Special message for Hector:
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

As I thought, everyone is going by the book and it was just a bit of scaremongering.

Comment

Just goes to show that most contractors are doing it properly. But every now and then we do get posts from people who've declared dividends and didn't have the profit to cover it, and from people with huge loan accounts and no way of paying them off. So it certainly isn't unheard of for people to not understand the difference between their money and their company's money.

I used to do a P&L statement before declaring a divvy, just to show that the profit really was there when I declared it.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          As I thought, everyone is going by the book and it was just a bit of scaremongering.
          For long enough it was the other way around, where the business owed me money for the car, computer and office gubbins I put in at the start.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
          X