• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just in case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just in case

things are going to go nutty in the middle east, what should I be stockpiling in my shed? Gerry cans of diesel? Freeze dried food? Long life first aid kits?

Should I be reading books on which mushrooms indigenous to our fair lands are edible? Ray Mears books?

Christmas is coming and I need to write a list.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Bullets
    Krugerrands
    Bullets
    Guns
    Bullets
    Bottled Water
    Bullets
    and more bullets
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Bullets
      Krugerrands
      Bullets
      Guns
      Bullets
      Bottled Water
      Bullets
      and more bullets

A decisive answer, I like that. Evian or volvic?

Comment

WHABS plus
        Knives
        Tins of beans
        Toilet rols
        Iodine tablets (helps with mild cases of radiation poisoning, I think)
        Change of underwear
        200 fags
        Case of beer
        Peanuts (salted)
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          WHABS plus
          Knives
          Tins of beans
          Toilet rols
          Change of underwear
          200 fags
          Case of beer
          Peanuts (salted)
          darn it, google says it's only good if treating exposure to radioactive iodine.
          Whereas salted peanuts and beer and fags can cure all ills so I am told.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Gerry cans
            Jerrycans

Should I be reading books on which mushrooms indigenous to our fair lands are edible?
            Psilocybe semilanceata is both indigenous and edible. It has the additional benefit of leading your mind to the contemplation of more interesting matters than the decline of consumerist society

Comment

darn it, google says it's only good if treating exposure to radioactive iodine.
              Iodine happens to be one of the elements that the kind of stuff that comes from exploding nuclear devices or power stations turns into an isotope of during the process of radioactive decay. The iodine isotope also comes along very early in the process.

If you absorb a quantity of fallout from such a catastrophe, much of it will turn into radioactive iodine in a very short space of time and be taken up by your thyroid gland, which loves the stuff and can't distinguish between isotopes. Those atoms will then decay further into isotopes of elements such as uranium (which is probably what it started as), but the real problem is that those atoms are now concentrated in your thyroid gland. As a result, the radiation they emit in the process of decaying through the various isotopes they form before finally becoming inert will all be concentrated in that tiny area of the body, leading to a greatly increased risk of cancer-causing mutation occurring there.

The purpose of taking the stable form of iodine is to saturate the thyroid therewith, such that when the atoms from the fallout that are circulating through your system happen to decay into an isotope of iodine, the thyroid won't take them up because it's full. As those atoms are surplus to requirements, they will instead be eliminated from the body by the normal processes of excretion. This happens naturally to the other elements whose isotopes are formed during radioactive decay of stuff from such sources, as the body has no use for them; iodine is the one such element our bodies do use, so that's where preventing uptake is necessary.

Although increasing one's iodine intake cannot guarantee immunity from atoms that happen to go through the stage of becoming an isotope of iodine on their way to becoming an isotope of something else, it greatly reduces the risk by preventing most of them from being absorbed and concentrated in one area of the body. As having more iodine than necessary in your system for a little while won't do you any harm, you're better off with it than without it when something nuclear goes "Boom" and there's a chance you might be contaminated.
              Last edited by NickFitz; 3 August 2010, 02:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                WHABS plus
                Knives
                Tins of beans
                Toilet rols
                Change of underwear
                200 fags
                Case of beer
                Peanuts (salted)
                WZS plus

A spoon (you can't eat beans with a knife)
                A bottle of vodka
                String
                Condoms
                A goat
                A set of Allan keys
                A groundsheet
                Prunes

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                  WZS plus

Condoms
                  A goat
                  Suity, do I need to call the RSPCA?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    None of you have mentioned a tin opener.
                    Or an iPhone

Comment

Working...
                    X