• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Let them eat cake

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let them eat cake

"[wheat] Inflation expectations are high," said Evgeny Gavrilenkov and Anton Stroutchenevski, economists at Troika Dialog in Moscow.

An average loaf of sliced bread currently costs between £1.30 and £1.40 in the UK

Britons to pay more for a loaf of bread as wheat prices jump - Telegraph
    I remember paying 10p for a loaf of bread in Tesco a year or so ago.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Loss leader perhaps?

It was probably 75% air anyway.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Loss leader perhaps?

50% air, 29% water, 20% trans fats. 1% "unknown". Trace amounts of wheat and sawdust.

Comment

As a result of being outside the M25 (by a good margin) I have a nice little Co-op nearby. Now I know they are considered on the naff side of supermarkets, but they seem to have pulled their socks up. Moreover, if you get there towards the end of the day - i.e. when normally people arrive home from work - you get some cracking food bargains like fresh fruit, pasta and veg for 10 pence a go. I do love a good bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Loss leader perhaps?

Right on both counts. A favourite tale locals bring back from a visit to the UK (usually for an English language course) is that you can squash a slice of English white bread into a small pellet. Here I buy bread by weight, with a small loaf weighing in at half a kilo.

Milk is another loss leader.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            Right on both counts. A favourite tale locals bring back from a visit to the UK (usually for an English language course) is that you can squash a slice of English white bread into a small pellet. Here I buy bread by weight, with a small loaf weighing in at half a kilo.

Milk is another loss leader.
            It's quite sad that milk is a loss leader. As someone pointed out on here, Coke is more expensive in many cases and milk is produced by a living animal.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              It's quite sad that milk is a loss leader. As someone pointed out on here, Coke is more expensive in many cases and milk is produced by a living animal.
              Being a milkman was quite a good living until the supermarkets undercut the price so much. In my younger days I fancied it as a Plan B.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                "[wheat] Inflation expectations are high," said Evgeny Gavrilenkov and Anton Stroutchenevski, economists at Troika Dialog in Moscow.

An average loaf of sliced bread currently costs between £1.30 and £1.40 in the UK

Britons to pay more for a loaf of bread as wheat prices jump - Telegraph
                If you have the time and inclination you can make your own basic white bread for about 60p a loaf.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  If you have the time and inclination you can make your own basic white bread for about 60p a loaf.
                  And far tastier too. Get a breadmaker.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    And far tastier too. Get a breadmaker.
                    i have a breadmaker but decided to make a loaf by hand yesterday to see the difference.

Three hours later, my lovely platted loaf was ready. It was so hard I nearly broke a tooth. On the plus side I now have something with military applications. Will be contacting the M0D later with my plan B.

Conclusion: Stick to the breadmaker.

Comment

Working...
                    X