• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Evolution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evolution

Can an individual organism evolve, i.e. aside from reproduction?

In the sense of "have a genetic mutation mid-life" - yes. Cancer is an example of that.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      In the sense of "have a genetic mutation mid-life" - yes. Cancer is an example of that.
      Can you explain how this happens and what triggers it?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

What do you mean by "evolve"?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          What do you mean by "evolve"?
          Will sasguru evolve into a useful member of society or will he always be a clueless fuqwit?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            But that's not evolution as you don't pass the cancer on, i.e. your sperm doesn't get created with the cancerous dna.

Older males actually cause most change as their dna replication is not as good as when younger so a higher chance of a mutation at conception. This is not the case with women though whose eggs are formed at birth.

Philosophically speaking cancer is a strange thing. It's own success brings on it's own demise and therefore brings into question what is life about,. (not in the 7 characteristics explanation). Cancer seems to show that we are a collection of co-operating cells but in an accidental way where each cell is 'selfish'.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              But that's not evolution as you don't pass the cancer on, i.e. your sperm doesn't get created with the cancerous dna.
              Quite right - really this was a case of "the answer to the question is mainly no, but can I think of a way to make it yes..?"

gingergedi - of course - I was about to publish my cancer cure, but then I got offered a contract for £300/day 10 minutes from home and the rest is history. You'll have to try the OncologistUK forum instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Older males actually cause most change as their dna replication is not as good as when younger so a higher chance of a mutation at conception. This is not the case with women though whose eggs are formed at birth.

Philosophically speaking cancer is a strange thing. It's own success brings on it's own demise and therefore brings into question what is life about,. (not in the 7 characteristics explanation). Cancer seems to show that we are a collection of co-operating cells but in an accidental way where each cell is 'selfish'.
                Cancer does not have success or failure criteria, it is not an organism in it's own right. It is a malfunction of part of the existing organism brought about by genetic predisposition or external influences. It is more akin to rust on a car that consumes the bodywork and eventually leads to it's destruction than a conventional illness caused by virus or bacteria that, while it may cause a disease fatal to it's host, gets to replicate and distribute itself to other hosts in the process.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  Will sasguru evolve into a useful member of society or will he always be a clueless fuqwit?
                  Many generations from now, your offspring may evolve to be as intelligent, good looking and generally brilliant as moi.
                  But I wouldn't count on it.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Can an individual organism evolve, i.e. aside from reproduction?
                    Your stomach flora (which could be argued is part of you as a whole organism) might well evolve to cope with your diet
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X