• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you miss most...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you miss most...

...from your permie days?
    Coffee's for closers

Having holidays and *ahem* sick days without giving a stuff and still getting paid

Comment

Doing P&Ds for my subordinates whom I did not like!

And telling them there is not any money for a pay rise just after I had a fat one!
      Last edited by Paddy; 4 August 2010, 07:53.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Stag Cozier View Post
        Having holidays and *ahem* sick days without giving a stuff and still getting paid
        Amen brother!

I miss the chatter and banter too, but much less so than the free days off.

Comment

Configuring and then taking delivery of a new Audi every 3-4 months with a BIK of about £50 per month.

Comment

Flight Line in summer
            Summer months in Cyprus (Nissi Beach before the Ibiza lot spoiled it)
            Officer Baiting
            Delibrately jerking the winch back for aircrew who'd been rude.
            Searching hot birds cars with a mirror on a stick and asking them to reach over for something in the boot.
            Beer Calls.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              Flight Line in summer
              Summer months in Cyprus (Nissi Beach before the Ibiza lot spoiled it)
              Officer Baiting
              Delibrately jerking the winch back for aircrew who'd been rude.
              Searching hot birds cars with a mirror on a stick and asking them to reach over for something in the boot.
              Beer Calls.
              Cyprus was nice before they let in charter flights.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Cyprus was nice before they let in charter flights.
                There's still plenty of small places, just stay out of the big package resorts.

One of my favourite holiday experiences is hiring a 4x4 to drive up the Troodos mountains to the ski centre and ambling back down through the forest tracks. Done it a few times now.

You can do a similar drive on the tracks up around the Akamas Peninsula, you get some funny looks from the rabbit hunters as not many people venture that far into the wilderness.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

The expense account I had when we had a stockbroker as a customer.

In a job before that the banter and an excellent pie and sandwich shop nearby. That place was run like a family firm. Only one person left in three years and that was to have a baby. Needless to say they destroyed that atmosphere by relocating.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Never been a permie
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X