• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working with startups

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working with startups

I'd like to get involved with startups - specifically on the technical side, being a jack-of-all-trades has to be useful for something (I worked for 4 yrs on a startup and enjoyed it a lot).

But, my LinkedIn is full of recruitment agents and entrenched middle-management, sites like MeetUp just seem to be full of geeks swapping Linux stories, none of my friends have the inclination to do anything (or provide any good ideas).. where else to look for people with good ideas but no technical knowhow?

Networking groups? 4networking, BNI etc?

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
    I'd like to get involved with startups - specifically on the technical side, being a jack-of-all-trades has to be useful for something (I worked for 4 yrs on a startup and enjoyed it a lot).

But, my LinkedIn is full of recruitment agents and entrenched middle-management, sites like MeetUp just seem to be full of geeks swapping Linux stories, none of my friends have the inclination to do anything (or provide any good ideas).. where else to look for people with good ideas but no technical knowhow?

Networking groups? 4networking, BNI etc?
    Haven't you posted this question before?

I know MF replied to something like this a while ago...

Hmmmm

Comment

Christ, did I? I'm going mad.

edit: ah no, I posted about MeetUp, to see if was a good place to network - but after looking, the groups were either made up of total geeks, or in it for mass self-promotion
      Last edited by oversteer; 4 August 2010, 12:09.

Comment

I don't know if you did but someone posted something similar and MF was particularly helpful iirc. I think he was ill or something on that day.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...reenfield.html

Oh, sorry, my mistake was MF who started the post...

Mind you, your original post didn't garner much feedback...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-meetings.html

Comment

Welcome to my world.

Anyone tried the MiniBar thingy of MeetUp ?
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Oversteer - you say you are a 'jack of all trades' but what technical area of IT.
            i.e. Networking, Client/server, databases, SAP

or is it really a little bit of everything across IT?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              Oversteer - you say you are a 'jack of all trades' but what technical area of IT.
              i.e. Networking, Client/server, databases, SAP

or is it really a little bit of everything across IT?
              I'd probably term it 'small business IT', so aspects like LAMP web development, server deployment, office IT etc. It's what I did for 4-5 years when I worked at one startup and enjoyed it a lot. (Maybe because I owned a third of it - not that it did me much good)

Comment

I'd probably term it 'small business IT', so aspects like LAMP web development, server deployment, office IT etc. It's what I did for 4-5 years when I worked at one startup and enjoyed it a lot. (Maybe because I owned a third of it - not that it did me much good)
                Do a search for First Tuesday London.

I believe they still exist.

Comment

Working...
                X