• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

sasguru hits mainstream press

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sasguru hits mainstream press

Big homes, nice cars, luxury holidays... what their friends don

I am currently one of thousands of middle-class paupers out there putting on a brave face and pretending nothing has changed when, in fact, beneath the glossy varnish of the facade, our entire way of life is crumbling under the crushing pressure of the credit crunch.
    Break out the violins.

sasguru is a woman!!?!?!

Comment

io

I know of loads of people like the ones described in that piece. Load of grandiose pretencions and so keen to show how much they cared. Yes, all of them are/were nuLieBore supporters. Shafted the lot of 'em.

It makes I larf.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I know how she feels - My daily rate is about the same as when I started contracting over ten years ago. I imagine most contractors, and full-time IT workers for that matter, are the same.

Also, I can't begin to imagine how young people, even two full-time earners as partners/spouses, can afford to start a family these days without a huge amount of financial help from their parents or the state.

By rights they should be absolutely hopping mad about the lax immigration policies over the last ten years. But it's no surprise they're not - Most people, especially idealistic young people, are desperately anxious to be seen to think like each other, and politicians have been exploiting this sheep-like compulsion for years to cynically ship in millions of foreigners for their votes.

By comparison, the expenses scandal was an utter trifle - A few troughers gaining slightly more than they deserved, and the whole nation goes into fits of hysterical rage. But immigration policies that will blight the lives of millions (including immigrants already here) are hardly noticed. Go figure.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

At the rate house prices are rising we'll all be so 'rich' we'll be competitive with the third world. £500 / week to rent a flat

Comment

Have a read of the UK section of this report. Page 21 onwards.

Thanks Gordon.

Hell, why a I worried. Not my problem.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Also, I can't begin to imagine how young people, even two full-time earners as partners/spouses, can afford to start a family these days without a huge amount of financial help from their parents or the state.

By rights they should be absolutely hopping mad about the lax immigration policies over the last ten years. But it's no surprise they're not - Most people, especially idealistic young people, are desperately anxious to be seen to think like each other, and politicians have been exploiting this sheep-like compulsion for years to cynically ship in millions of foreigners for their votes.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Like maybe rent affordable house rather than overextend yourself on massive mortgage?

I was just walking past estate agents and noticed that prices for local houses actually beginning to look pretty decent

It's a pity I was walking after a few drinks in a local pub

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  Have a read of the UK section of this report. Page 21 onwards.

Thanks Gordon.

Hell, why a I worried. Not my problem.
                  Any insights as to why Sterling remains so strong, and getting stronger?
                  Is it because the septics are in as bad a shape as us?

Comment

These narcissistic morons bring the concept of an unjustified sense of entitlement to new heights:

"We had a phenomenal couple of years, our earnings were rocketing and naively we believed it would go on for ever. It wasn't enough income to describe ourselves as wealthy, but what it did was unleash our ability to borrow."

And borrow they did. Over time and on credit, the Risbridgers acquired all the trimmings of success: a five-bedroom house in Buckinghamshire, with an Aga, bespoke kitchen and wet room, surrounded by 15 acres with stables and 14 horses.

Not enough income to "describe ourselves as wealthy", yet they acquire 15 acres and 14 horses?

These people are the moral equivalent of a sixteen-year old girl who gets pregnant so she can get a council house and live on benefits. In fact, they're worse than that: if they managed to make enough money to have access to that level of debt (I refuse to call it "credit"), they must have been intelligent enough to have realised what kind of hole they were digging for themselves if they hadn't been blinded by greed. At least the teenage girl is probably too dumb and too socially disadvantaged to have had any other options. Also, she's only after housing and spending money, not a pony.

14 horses, FFS. Even the Queen Mother only owned ten at the time of her death. (Guess how she got her house and spending money.)
                    Last edited by NickFitz; 5 August 2010, 02:49.

Comment

Working...
                    X