• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Subcontracting and flat rate scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subcontracting and flat rate scheme

How does subcontracting/ROS work on the VAT flat rate scheme? (I will of course ask my accountant if it becomes a reality!) Has anyone done this?

I find contractor B to do the work and agree a rate , MyCo carries on invoicing client, and contractor B invoices MyCo. All sounds quite simple, but if Contractor B is VAT registered, does that mean that MyCo has to cover that VAT cost? Makes a big difference to the rate I could agree with them.

Yes that's correct. You'd probably want to move back to normal VAT.

Comment

Or get contractor B to invoice client co and you invoice contractor B for your commission share but may not be commercially viable.

Or contractor B invoices client co for their share of the rate and you invoice client co for your commission (even less likely to be commercially viable).

Comment

Thanks - will give it some thought!

Comment

I've started doing this with two subbies this year. You'll need to come off FRS as you'll (probably) be paying too much in VAT because they'll bill you + VAT.

You just need to make sure that as a minimum you'll be covering your lost FRS money from the subbies.

Can help with IR35 too I guess. I make sure that the client treats my company as a provider of multiple resources and I get a statement of work etc beforehand. I also only sub-contract to people I can know/trust as I cant be bothered with the hassle of recruiting should one break contract.

Comment

Working...
          X