• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British TV Comedy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British TV Comedy

I spent last night in front of the tv for the first time in ages and ended up watching 5 comedy programmes back to back.

First up was The Mitchell and Webb Look which I thought was very,very weak indeed. Not a single laugh there. This was followed by Reeves and Mortimer's Shooting Stars show; same old same old but I never really did get them. At least it is marginally better without the creepy Matt wotsizzchopps - which brings me to little Britain. Funny the first time you see it but when you watch it next you realise they are just regurgitating the same jokes week in week out (by the way, did you know that Little Britain was an area of Dickensian London referenced in Great Expectations among others?) Following this was 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps please. Errr, why? Finally we had a programme called Miranda and I thought this wasn't all that bad. No vulgarity, no regional accents, just good humour (though maybe targeted at a non male audience). And what I really liked about the show was that they ended with "you have been watching...".

That just got the memories flooding back of all those old Croft and Perry classics;Dad's Army, Hi Di Hi, Oh Dr. Beeching. Incidentally, one of my colleagues on my Masters course was Michael Holland, son of Geoffrey Holland AKA Spike off Hi Di Hi. He was a very good tap dancer ISTR.

To sum up, I think the blame for the dearth of comic talent can be laid squarely at the door of the demise of variety. Just think of all the giants of comedy of the past; they all plied their trade in dirty northern workimg men's clubs and maybe getting a lucky break on Seaside Special or Opportunity Knocks. Unfortunately it no longer works like this. These days you have to get the approval of a small cabal of trendy self obsessed media toadies who wouldn't know a decent joke if it came up and slapped them in the face.
    Last edited by gricerboy; 6 August 2010, 06:42.

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    I spent last night in front of the tv for the first time in ages and ended up watching 5 comedy programmes back to back.

First up was The Mitchell and Webb Look which I thought was very,very weak indeed. Not a single laugh there. This was followed by Revs and Mortimer's Shooting Stars show; same old same old but I never really did get them. At least it is marginally better without the creepy Matt wotsizzchopps - which brings me to little Britain. Funny the first time you see it but when you watch it next you realise they are just regurgitating the same jokes week in week out (by the way, did you know that Little Britain was an area of Dickensian London referenced in Great Expectations among others?) Following this was 2 pints of later and a packet of crisps please. Errr, why? Finally we had a programme called Miranda and I thought this wasn't all that bad. No vulgarity, no regional accents, just good humour (though maybe targeted at a non male audience). And what I really liked about the show wad that they ended with "you have been watching...".

That just got the memories flooding back of all those old Croft and Perry classics;Dad's Army, Hi Di Hi, Oh Dr. Beeching. Incidentally, one of my colleagues on my Masters course was Michael Holland, son of Geoffrey Holland AKA Spike off Hi Di Hi. He was a very good tap dancer ISTR.

To sum up, I think the blame for the dearth of comic talent can be laid squarely at the door of the demise of variety. Just think of all the grand of comedy of the past-they alll plied their trade in dirty northern workimg men's clubs and maybe getting a lucky break on Seaside Special or Opportunity Knocks. Unfortunately it no longer works like this. These days you have to get the approval of a small cabal of trendy self obsessed media toadies who wouldn't know a decent joke if it came up and slapped them in the face.

By the way, I heard a good joke today but can't repay it here in case someone thinks it's racist. It's to do with Pakistan anyway. And its not racist. Pm me if you want to hear it!
    WHo cares about the Marxists PC brigade anyaway?

Comment

British comedy is stifled by the bureaucracy that writers have to go through to write for the BBC or ITV. If Monty Python was conceived these days it would never get on the air. Good comedy will need to be produced by independents and broadcast on YouTube or the net.

BTW although Benny Hill is long outdated his fame is still known world wide. Even when I was in remote Siberia people were quoting line from Benny Hill.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Little Britain, is a small road a couple of streets behind the BT building nr St Pauls Station. Never seen Matt Lucas or David Walliams there though.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Even when I was in remote Siberia people were quoting line from Benny Hill.
          I think you will find that
          "Do I hear the words "I have a cunning plan" marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?", actually comes from Blackadder Paddy.
          HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            I think you will find that
            "Do I hear the words "I have a cunning plan" marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?", actually comes from Blackadder Paddy.
            HTH

I'm having my own conversation with myself, thank you.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I don't remember any lines from Benny Hill. The humour was mostly visual, (and innuendo) wasn't it?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I don't remember any lines from Benny Hill. The humour was mostly visual, (and innuendo) wasn't it?
                "The odds against there being a bomb on a plane are a million to one, and against two bombs a million times a million to one. Next time you fly, cut the odds and take a bomb."

“Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.”

"Girls are like pianos. When they're not upright, they're grand.”

"Why would I make one woman so miserable when I can make so many women very happy?"

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post

First up was The Mitchell and Webb Look which I thought was very,very weak indeed. Not a single laugh there. This was followed by Reeves and Mortimer's Shooting Stars show; same old same old but I never really did get them. At least it is marginally better without the creepy Matt wotsizzchopps - which brings me to little Britain. Funny the first time you see it but when you watch it next you realise they are just regurgitating the same jokes week in week out (by the way, did you know that Little Britain was an area of Dickensian London referenced in Great Expectations among others?) Following this was 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps please. Errr, why? Finally we had a programme called Miranda and I thought this wasn't all that bad. No vulgarity, no regional accents, just good humour (though maybe targeted at a non male audience). And what I really liked about the show was that they ended with "you have been watching...".

To sum up, I think the blame for the dearth of comic talent can be laid squarely at the door of the demise of variety. Just think of all the giants of comedy of the past; they all plied their trade in dirty northern workimg men's clubs and maybe getting a lucky break on Seaside Special or Opportunity Knocks. Unfortunately it no longer works like this. These days you have to get the approval of a small cabal of trendy self obsessed media toadies who wouldn't know a decent joke if it came up and slapped them in the face.
                  You write like a f**king retard.

Spod - In "Constructive criticism my arse" mode!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                    You write like a f**king retard.

Spod - In "Constructive criticism my arse" mode!
                    Personally, I think he's upped his game recently.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X