• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the IT industry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State of the IT industry

From the front page

Chris Evans, managing director at hSo, said 2006 will represent a year of “little change” for the industry, compounded by static corporate IT spending.

“Major changes are unlikely to happen to the platforms, products or services themselves, but rather in the way they are consumed or accessed by their users,” he said.

So IT has now become a rather stagnant industry,true when you think about it,gone are the days of inovation and exciting new developments, IT is simply now a cost centre ultimately to be outsourced.

My personal thoughts are that the industry lost all crediblity after the Y2k fiasco and has been on a downward spiral since.

Also companies are realising that they dont really need all this new fangled stuff as users are still struggling to come to grips with systems they installed several years ago.

2006 is now the year of IT stagnation.

I bet there are a few out there who now wished they had done something sensible like accountancy instead !
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 30 January 2006, 10:41.

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    From the front page
    I bet there are a few out there who now wished they had done something sensible like accountancy instead !
    I wonder how many people regret not being an accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
      I wonder how many people regret not being an accountant.
      I never wanted to work in an office.

I always wanted to be a lion tamer !

Comment

No one ever died, went to heaven and said, "I wish I'd spent more time at the office".

Lumberjacking, that's the life for me.

Comment

forgive my ignorance, but wtf does Chris Evans know about the IT industry? Mind you, he probably didn't have to crosstrain much from talking b0ll0cks in the TV industry to talking the same in the IT industry...
          Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Perfect job as a project manager then.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Feck me, I'd rather be on the cutting edge of tech, in a City bank than an accountant.

Thank f*** for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
                Feck me, I'd rather be on the cutting edge of tech, in a City bank than an accountant.

Thank f*** for that.

By Jingo BV

Cutting edge, now I havent heard that phrase since *killer ap* or *mission critical*... ah nostalgia aint what it used to be ....
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 30 January 2006, 13:14.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                  nostalgia
                  I remeber the last time I heard that, ah those were the days
                  Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
                    I remeber the last time I heard that, ah those were the days
                    I tell you what, MrsGoof, nostalgia ain't as good as it used to be either.

Comment

Working...
                    X