• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Film recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film recommendation

Un prophète, available as A Prophet in English for a very reasonable £7.99

Absolutely top notch.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Is it one of those where it's much better to watch it in the original language with English subtitles (assuming you don't know the original language)?

Whenever I watch Lola Rennt I switch to the original German soundtrack (I have an English pressing of the DVD), and turn on the English subtitles as I don't know German. It's the only way to do it. The voices would be all wrong otherwise. It was made in German: why would I want it dubbed into another language?

The Vanishing (the original Dutch/French version, not the Hollywood version) is another film I can only watch without the dubbing into English that is apparently available on my DVD. I'm not very good at French or Dutch either, though better at both than at German.

Maybe we could encourage young people to learn foreign languages at school by promising them the opportunity to enjoy really good films later in life without being distracted by lip-synching. Then again, would they care at that age? I know that when I had the choice between doing Latin or German O Level, I chose Latin because I reckoned it would be more interesting. I stand by that decision, even if it means I need subtitles to watch certain films in their original form.

But what about those who chose Technical Drawing over either language?

Maybe they're the people who like Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps - I've often wondered what that demographic is.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Is it one of those where it's much better to watch it in the original language with English subtitles (assuming you don't know the original language)?

Whenever I watch Lola Rennt I switch to the original German soundtrack (I have an English pressing of the DVD), and turn on the English subtitles as I don't know German. It's the only way to do it. The voices would be all wrong otherwise. It was made in German: why would I want it dubbed into another language?

The Vanishing (the original Dutch/French version, not the Hollywood version) is another film I can only watch without the dubbing into English that is apparently available on my DVD. I'm not very good at French or Dutch either, though better at both than at German.

Maybe we could encourage young people to learn foreign languages at school by promising them the opportunity to enjoy really good films later in life without being distracted by lip-synching. Then again, would they care at that age? I know that when I had the choice between doing Latin or German O Level, I chose Latin because I reckoned it would be more interesting. I stand by that decision, even if it means I need subtitles to watch certain films in their original form.

Maybe they're the people who like Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps - I've often wondered what that demographic is.
      The DVD isn't dubbed so subtitles only.

I took both German & Technical Drawing at school, but I didn't like two pints of lager & a packet of crisps, I think that particular demographic group is limited to cast & crew, although even some of them must cringe when they see it.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Kick-Ass is my recommendation for 2010.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Yes, subtitles are far better, as long as they aren't too intrusive or the opposite, because the original speech conveys emotions and timing that even the best dubbing can't match unless it's some dire D movie anyway.

Also, German to English dubbing obviously has the problem that it tends to take twice as long to say anything in German, apart from pithy phrases like "raus, raus!", "hande hoch!", etc

... But what about those who chose Technical Drawing over either language?
          I believe dubbing is mainly done for the American market. Most Americans can't or won't watch subtitled films.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            I believe dubbing is mainly done for the American market. Most Americans can't or won't watch subtitled films.
            I've found that in Germany most English DVDs have an alternate soundtrack in German and sometimes other languagues, as well as having the original language + subtitles. Most foreign films are the same but rarely have English subtitles which means I have to go back to the UK to buy them. I could learn German properly I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Un prophète, available as A Prophet in English for a very reasonable £7.99

Absolutely top notch.
              I have a copy on my HDD but haven't got around to watching it yet - have heard it is very good too.

Mesrine: Killer Instinct is meant to be another good French film.

One of my favourite recent French films is Luc Besson's Angel-A.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Yes, subtitles are far better, as long as they aren't too intrusive or the opposite, because the original speech conveys emotions and timing that even the best dubbing can't match unless it's some dire D movie anyway.

Also, German to English dubbing obviously has the problem that it tends to take twice as long to say anything in German, apart from pithy phrases like "raus, raus!", "hande hoch!", etc
                In the early eighties German dubbing of series like James Herriot and The Professionals was dire. The actors who did the dubbing were obviously reading from scripts rather than getting into the role and much was lost. Robert Hardy blasting forth with "No, no my dear boy no" came out as "Nein", and Bodie had a squeaky voice

Thankfully it's much better now.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  In the early eighties German dubbing of series like James Herriot and The Professionals was dire. The actors who did the dubbing were obviously reading from scripts rather than getting into the role and much was lost. Robert Hardy blasting forth with "No, no my dear boy no" came out as "Nein", and Bodie had a squeaky voice

Thankfully it's much better now.
                  I wonder which version they have on those boxed sets of TJ Hooker they sell in Saturn?

Comment

Bad lip synching can make a film unwatchable for me. I like subtitles in both directions:
                    1. English subtitles - no synching problems and you get the right tone of voice, mood etc
                    2. German or French subtitles for something with English sound (I get both at my local cinema). I can pick up useful phrases from the subtitles while enjoying the film in English. This is a great learning tool.

On the Latin front, that was compulsory for me, alongside French. I later did German and Russian, and the Latin grammar really did help with those.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X