• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google Voice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Voice

I've not tried Google Voice Search before, but just downloaded it onto my iPod Touch. I doubt I will find a use for it and I wasn't expecting much, but it seems pretty impressive from my little play just now. Hardly any interpretive mistakes at all. It managed to pick up a few words off the TV too.

And how is this relevant to general contract issues?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Pass. The keyboard may be the contractor's primary interface in to the world of application development for some time to come. For users though, it looks like a little world developing that I've not paid much attention to. Mostly because I thought it was carp. I was surprised at how capable Google's effort is, even without training. Just straight out of the box.

Have you got a mobile internet device (e.g. smartphone) Alexi?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Have you got a mobile internet device (e.g. smartphone) Alexi?
        No.

I need new keyboard - Microsoft stopped making Microsoft natural multimedia keyboards so I have to buy them on Ebay at ridiculous prices

Comment

That's simple:
          1. Contractor is supposed to be expert in field;

2. Contractor is being asked tricky questions by client;

3. Contractor activates Google Voice at appropriate moment;

4. Google Voice searches and returns results;

5. Contractor says, "I'm sorry, let me just tell my phone I want to ignore this text message," and prods at phone, clicking on first decent-looking link in the search results;

6. Contractor quickly scans first few lines of the resulting page (search engines give greater prominence to pages where search terms appear early in the page);

7. Contractor turns back to client saying "Sorry about that, but to answer your question: the best way to create an object model that suitably represents the inherently incoherent processes of your manual workflow is..."

...whatever this gets you.

You never know, it might work if you can read quickly

Comment

The irony
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Tried it on my phone a few weeks back - searching on my name returned results for "homosexual russian". I deleted the app. Google goggles is fun though!

Comment

iPod touch? Are you a pauper?
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                  Tried it on my phone a few weeks back - searching on my name returned results for "homosexual russian". I deleted the app. Google goggles is fun though!
                  That does look good! But it requires an internet connection and associated rip off phone tariff to use it. I'm more into off-line except when I'm at home or at a WiFi hotspot mode at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    That does look good! But it requires an internet connection and associated rip off phone tariff to use it. I'm more into off-line except when I'm at home or at a WiFi hotspot mode at the moment.
                    Hmm. Are mobile internet links the printer ink of the future?
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X