• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Margaret Thatcher, milk snatcher

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Margaret Thatcher, milk snatcher

BBC News - Downing Street rejects child milk scheme cut suggestion
    Downing Street has said plans to scrap free milk for under fives will not go ahead, the BBC has learned.

It comes after UK Health Minister Anne Milton set out the proposals in a letter to Scottish Public Health Minister Shona Robison.

A source said Prime Minister David Cameron was not aware of the proposals, according to the BBC's Ross Hawkins.

Labour leadership contender David Miliband had already called the minister's proposal a "cruel cut".
    They have learned then.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

When the Conservative party under Edward Heath won the 1970 general election, Thatcher became Secretary of State for Education and Science. In her first months in office, Thatcher came to public attention as a result of the administration of Edward Heath's decision to cut spending. She gave priority to academic needs in schools,[38] and imposed public expenditure cuts on the state education system, resulting in, against her private protests, the abolition of free milk for school-children aged seven to eleven
    Just for balance you understand.

HTH
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Just for balance you understand.

HTH
      Quiet, those private protests - conveniently private, yet recorded in minutes for great use in the future

Taking away milk from children ffs!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Quiet, those private protests - conveniently private, yet recorded in minutes for great use in the future

Taking away milk from children ffs!
        Well at our school they left the milk out in the sun.

It went sour and most of it went to waste.

These days, how many kids really need it ?

This is not a third world and undernourisment does not appear a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
          This is not a third world and undernourisment does not appear a problem.
          Indeed. Why have milk when you can have a Snickers and Coca Cola?

Comment

Indeed. Why have milk when you can have a Snickers and Coca Cola?
            Thats another issue i.e. bad diet.

I believe the free milk was brought in when there was rationing during and after the war.

It made sense then, but does it still make sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
              It made sense then, but does it still make sense now.
              Does it cost that much in the first place? The negative PR effect of such cuts is much higher than any financial savings, it's better if children drink milk then coca cola anyway.

Having said that I've just finished drinking bottle of diet coke

Comment

Does it cost that much in the first place?
                Yes, every little helps. As others have said, it is a waste of money.

The negative PR effect of such cuts is much higher than any financial savings, it's better if children drink milk then coca cola anyway.
                This is very true. Yes, it is a waste, but the symbolism of 'milk snatcher' lives on. It surprises me that this was ever put forward. Unless, as Guido suggests, it is some form of dirty trick.

However, I don't credit them with the smarts.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Think the free milk thing is Scotland only. Don't think kids south of the border get free milk.

Comment

I have changed my mind about the Free milk for school children debate.
                    I'm from a well spoken middle England family and the idea of free milk does seem just one big waste of money and time, well 95% of the time.

My cousin who is a teacher in a school in one of the less desirable areas recently told me of children coming to school after eating a bag of crisps for breakfast and having last nights cold chips for their packed lunch. Those children are the 5% that would benefit if even to stop them from getting rickets. You can not blame the children for their parents.

In summary, a waste of money for most but so what. They are children and it will do them some good.

Comment

Working...
                    X