• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Those Crazy Fins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those Crazy Fins

Finalist dies at World Sauna event in Finland

Spectators were deeply shocked by the accident
    The annual World Sauna Championships in Finland have ended in tragedy with the death of one of the finalists.
    Russian Vladimir Ladyzhensky and his Finnish rival, Timo Kaukonen, collapsed after suffering severe burns. Mr Ladyzhensky later died in hospital.
    The event requires participants to withstand 110C (230F) for as long as possible. The men managed six minutes before judges noticed something amiss.
    Its chief organiser said all the rules of the event had been followed.
    "
    It is not so unusual to have 110 degrees in a sauna. A lot of competitors before have sat in higher temperatures than that”
    "All the rules were followed and there were enough first aid personnel. All the competitors needed to sign in to the competition with a doctor's certificate," Ossi Arvela told reporters in Heinola, where it was held.
    Half a litre of water was added to the stove inside the sauna every 30 seconds, and the last person remaining was the winner. There was no prize other than "some small things", he told the Associated Press.
    "I know this is very hard to understand to people outside Finland who are not familiar with the sauna habit," he said. "It is not so unusual to have 110 degrees in a sauna. A lot of competitors before have sat in higher temperatures than that."
    Mr Kaukonen, the defending world champion, had refused to leave the sauna during the final despite appearing sick, Mr Arvela said. He is now said to be in a stable condition in hospital.
    Mr Arvela said police were already investigating Mr Ladyzhensky's death, which he said had left the organisers grief-stricken.
    The event, which had over 130 participants from 15 countries, had been held since 1999. The organisers said it would never be held again.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Congratulations on posting the strangest story of the week (IMO).

It's Finns btw. Sharks have fins.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Well it is nothing to get all steamed up about!!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Well it is nothing to get all steamed up about!!!

Brrrrrrrr dum. Tssch!
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

The event requires participants to withstand 110C (230F) for as long as possible.
          Are they sure it was 110C? Hotter than boiling water?! Or did some mong of a reporter get their units wrong?

Even 110F at 100% humidity is soon unbearable, and much hotter would be rapidly fatal. For example, people can't survive in that crystal cave in Mexico (at around 136F) for more than a few minutes without being dressed from head to toe in cooling suits.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Are they sure it was 110C? Hotter than boiling water?! Or did some mong of a reporter get their units wrong?
            Yes. Have you never been to a sauna?

Bedwetters on this forum would jump out of sauna crying for mummy once temp is over 30C I reckon

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Yes. Have you never been to a sauna?

Bedwetters on this forum would jump out of sauna crying for mummy once temp is over 30C I reckon
              Was that your personal experience ?

Comment

Darn - I've just installed PeerBlock, which proudly announced it has blocked over 750,000,000 IP addresses on my PC.

Unfortunately, these seem to include most news sites such as the BBC, Guardian, etc. So I can't check this item.

Oh well, I waste enough time reading news articles anyway. So maybe it's done me a favour.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
                  Was that your personal experience ?
                  His experience is more of Turkish baths with similarly hirsute overweight men.

But he doesn't like to talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Darn - I've just installed PeerBlock, which proudly announced it has blocked over 750,000,000 IP addresses on my PC.

Unfortunately, these seem to include most news sites such as the BBC, Guardian, etc. So I can't check this item.

Oh well, I waste enough time reading news articles anyway. So maybe it's done me a favour.
                    There is no "maybe" about it!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X