• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Near miss?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Near miss?

http://www.sky.com/skynews/picture_g...210748,00.html

hmmm and they say these two planes maintained a safe distance appart? I understand what they're saying about distorted perspective but that is a joke.

Two aircraft must be within 3 nautical miles horizontally or 1000ft vertically to be classed as a near miss.

CAA said it was all an illusion and was perfectly safe.............

surely when they say near-miss, they actually mean near-hit.

ran into the back of a mini once. nearly missed it.
    Plan A is located just about here.
    If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Aircraft never hit each other, officially.

Although they do suffer from "loss of separation" occasionally.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

the lower one is an A300 the upper one a 777
        A300: Wing span 44.84m, length 54.08m
        777: Wing span 60.93m, length 63.73m

Measure their apparent sizes on the pictures and a quick bit of trig will tell you they were a fair way apart.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~
          http://www.sky.com/skynews/picture_g...210748,00.html

hmmm and they say these two planes maintained a safe distance appart? I understand what they're saying about distorted perspective but that is a joke.

Two aircraft must be within 3 nautical miles horizontally or 1000ft vertically to be classed as a near miss.

CAA said it was all an illusion and was perfectly safe.............
          Film makers use the same trick of a long focal length lens to compress prespective when they want it to look like someone jumped got out of the way of an oncoming vehicle at the last minute.

The object to worry about is the SAM6 dedicated to Allah before launch.

Comment

I'm not disputing there is a gap but just not 3 nautical miles or 1000 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~
              I'm not disputing there is a gap but just not 3 nautical miles or 1000 feet.
              Isn't it only the 1000 feet that matters in this case?

It was over West Ham's ground as well, which always distorts perspective.

Comment

The picture is also tightly cropped which helps distort distance perspective even more.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  Isn't it only the 1000 feet that matters in this case?

It was over West Ham's ground as well, which always distorts perspective.
                  It's 1000ft vertical separation OR 3nm horizontal separation for IFR aircraft under controlled airspace - not both.

It's also 2 different sized a/c with the depth of field telephoto lens camera effect as often used in films (such as Honey I Shrunk The Kids) to make objects appear relatively bigger/smaller than they are.

More details here:-
                  http://www.nats.co.uk/library/rvsm.html

Another telephoto lens trick:
                  http://www.planes.cz/foto1.asp?mode=...CZHSW&jazyk=cz
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Ah, hyperD, made my own butter last week successfully. So simple and so delicious and creamy. It seems to freeze successfully as well, so you can make a pile of it and keep it (for those times when the cream is reduced to clear). I also put fresh herbs and garlic in some of it - delicious.

Comment

Working...
                    X