• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mini property boom is over

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini property boom is over amid concerns about double dip recession

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors said “increased uncertainty” about the economic outlook was making home buyers more cautious.

This reduced demand is combined with an increase in the supply of properties following the abolition of Home Information Packs.

It is a reversal of the fortunes of the housing market which saw prices rise sharply in many areas during the past year due to a lack of suitable properties.

Jeremy Dell, a RICS member based in Worcestershire, said: “For me, the market is the worst it’s ever been. The Government’s determination to balance the books has undermined confidence.”

And David Sherwood, a RICS member based in Essex, said: “There are double dip worries. And there is a lack of funding but overall a lack of confidence is having a negative impact on the residential market.” (AtW's comment: no tulip Sherwood.)

RICS said eight per cent more estate agents reported a fall rather than a rise in house prices in July, the lowest reading in more than a year.

It is in sharp contrast to last month when 8 per cent more surveyors reporting rising rather than falling prices.

At the same time the number of new sellers increased with 33 per cent more estate agents seeing a rise rather than a fall in properties to their books, up 28 per cent from June and the highest level since before the beginning of the credit crisis in May 2007.

Ian Perry, a spokesman for RICS said: “The fall in the RICS house price is a reflection of both the increase in supply following the scrapping of HIPS and the more cautious stance from buyers.

“Significantly, the forward looking price expectations numbers suggest that this softer trend will continue through the second half of the year.”

Melanie Bien, director of mortgage brokers Private Finance, said: "Concerns about the economy and future job prospects are causing an increasing number of buyers to put off any house purchase until there is more certainty. Most people are reluctant to commit to something as expensive as a property purchase when you they are worried about losing their jobs or interest rates rising."

A separate report warned the housing market is the toughest for first time buyers in decades.

They will borrow more money and raise a larger deposit than at any other point in the past quarter of a century, according to Nationwide.

Britain’s largest building society said first-time buyers paid £26,422 for a home 25 years ago and put down a deposit of £1,321. It compares with a deposit of £35,614 towards the £142,457 cost of a home today.

Source: Mini property boom is over amid concerns about double dip recession - Telegraph

----------

Final thoughts: moving to new rented place in 4 weeks time, looked around - good semi/detached houses are £1000+ rent very few on offer here, so will go for a good flat - plenty of choice and half price... no garden either with darned Ground Elder

nonsense

Move2 looking positively towards a brighter future.

© s1now
    Originally published: 10.08.2010
    Amid rocketing recent sales figures, Move2 estate agents is emerging from the darkness of the recent housing market crash and global economic crisis and is looking positively towards a brighter future.

The Saltcoats-based firm - who have had to recruit more staff recently to cope with current demand and maintain their high levels of customer service - have experienced, in the last three months alone, sales figures climbing dramatically, reaching a staggering £3 million total.

Several properties sold by Move2 in the recent boom had been on the market for over a year, some for around three months and others only for a matter of days.

Managing Director, Peter Kean regards these developments as solid and cogent evidence that the housing market is, indeed, finally picking up. He said: "House prices did indeed drop during the first part of the year mainly due to the recession and the large number of repossessed properties being sold.

"I have been in the property business for more than 12 years. My staff and I have remained not only optimistic but resilient during the difficult times. North Ayrshire is an exciting place to be just now with the regeneration projects in most of our areas. I know that we have now turned a corner and can move forward positively."

The Saltcoats firm have been in the town now for almost a decade and, like every other estate agent across the UK and beyond, found themselves forced to implement new strategies to maintain high standards when the housing market crashed in 2008 and 2009. Now advertising their properties on s1homes.com the firm have managed to widen the scope for those selling and have adopted a new approach to discussions with potential buyers that sees them conducting highly informed dialogues. Their new approaches have allowed them to cultivate excellent relationships with both buyers and sellers alike.
    Move2 looking positively towards a brighter future. - Scottish property news from s1homes.com
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Is it flip - Not two miles from where I live, a penthouse flat just sold for £140 million

So, by my reckoning, my one bedroom flat in South Ken must be worth at least £2 million, or soon will be.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        So, by my reckoning, my one bedroom flat in South Ken must be worth at least £2 million, or soon will be.
        Quiet.

And bread of loaf will cost a wheelbarrow full of GBP notes.

Comment

Increasing immigration and Supply and demand=house prices will continue to rise forever CUK tm 2005

You know who you are
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

No So....

Its just that the average slop in the UK cant afford it and Russians and Arabs are buying up West London by the postcode

London is not for the English its for the rich.

London house prices: Still buoyant | The Economist

Still buoyant
            A simple lesson in supply and demand

Aug 5th 2010

IF YOU hear a Russian voice this summer in the lobby of a smart London hotel, its owner is unlikely to be on holiday. Chances are he is there for a property deal, leaving his family on the yacht in Sochi or St Tropez, says Edward Mermelstein, an American property lawyer.
            The demand for prime London residences has greatly outstripped supply since January 2009, except for a brief period last summer (see chart), when presumably the Russians were otherwise engaged. Cheap sterling and low interest rates brought buyers piling into the market, bidding up prices. In the past 13 months Knight Frank (KF), a London-based estate agency, has sold 15 properties in swish Belgravia for over £10m apiece, most of them to foreign buyers, says Stuart Bailey, who heads the firm’s office there.
            Purchasers of “super-prime” London properties at the moment are mainly from resource-rich Russia or Kazakhstan, followed by the United Arab Emirates, he adds. At this level even sterling’s recent strengthening against the dollar is no deterrent. Properties for sale are scarce, partly because refurbishing prime properties came to a temporary halt after the financial shock of September 2008.
            A snip at £10m?
            Supply tends to be managed, in fact, since sellers of residences with asking prices of more than £10m can usually hang on if they want. That seems to have been happening since March, after asking prices rose too much and turned off buyers. Since May there has been a slight cooling of prices.
            Even so, Mr Mermelstein reckons prime residences are at least 50% dearer in London than in Manhattan, though America seems further on the road to economic recovery. He thinks this is mainly because London is closer for the mega-rich east of Europe.
            Average London house prices are also proving surprisingly resilient. They are more than double the national average, after rising by 12.2% in the year to June while the rest rose by 8.4%, according to the Land Registry. Part of that gain comes from the pressure on prices in boroughs near the east London site of the 2012 Olympic games, which have increased by 25.7% since London won the mandate in July 2005. The London market looks likely to defy gravity for a while longer.
            There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Why you are even remotely interested in the property market AtW I fail to see - your next move seems to be downsizing your rented bedsit
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors said “increased uncertainty” about the economic outlook was making home buyers more cautious.
                In other words, the Royal Society of Idiots have just increased 'uncertainty' a little bit more by yapping on about 'increased uncertainty'.

Really, all this 'double-dip' talk is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy.

Oops, sorry, I might not have helped there.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'm worried. I always seem to end up with half a biscuit floating in my tea.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Something occurred to me the other week when the iDave was in India saying how much it was the future saviour of Britain and all that.

If Asia, Eastern Europe, Russia and all these dodgy places are the future then why do all those guys from there that make a mint go and buy assets in the West such as London property, football teams, car makers, etc? What is wrong with investing in their own region?
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X