• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold

Scottish gold mine in doubt

Plans to mine more than £110m worth of gold in the Scottish Highlands have hit a serious setback after planners at Loch Lomond national park today said the application should be refused.

With gold prices soaring, the mining company Scotgold wants to dig out 700kg of gold and 17 tonnes of silver a year over the next decade from an unworked mine called Cononish, which sits near Tyndrum, just inside the north-eastern boundary of the national park.

The proposal has been enthusiastically supported by local councillors and appeared to have been positively received by the national park. But following objections from conservationists and countryside groups, Gordon Watson, the park's director of planning, has recommended the proposal be rejected.

More: Scottish gold mine in doubt | Environment | guardian.co.uk

-------

Nae luck!

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Plans to mine more than £110m worth of gold in the Scottish Highlands have hit a serious setback after planners at Loch Lomond national park today said the application should be refused.

With gold prices soaring, the mining company Scotgold wants to dig out 700kg of gold and 17 tonnes of silver a year over the next decade from an unworked mine called Cononish, which sits near Tyndrum, just inside the north-eastern boundary of the national park.

The proposal has been enthusiastically supported by local councillors and appeared to have been positively received by the national park. But following objections from conservationists and countryside groups, Gordon Watson, the park's director of planning, has recommended the proposal be rejected.

-------

Nae luck!
    Doesn't stop us panning for gold there and a couple of other places I know
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Gold seems to be turning up all over the place now:

Gold found in Cornish mine

Imagine that - You go to all the trouble of reopening an old tin mine, and all that turns up is a load of gold.

They must have been gutted
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Doesn't stop us panning for gold there and a couple of other places I know
        Do you get much?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
          Do you get much?
          3-4 days of panning could generate enough cash for a decent holiday.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Good on ya!

Comment

Oh dear, that combination of Scots and gold again.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

-------

Nae luck!

Near my dad's holiday cottage ... "the highest village in UK" ... they pan for gold frequently. Well the tourists do. Pay for it too. Do they find tulip loads of gold? Of course no. Do they find gold? Yes.

Comment

3-4 days of panning for gold would be quite a decent holiday, IMO. As long as it didn't rain constantly.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    3-4 days of panning for gold would be quite a decent holiday, IMO. As long as it didn't rain constantly.
                    If it rains, just nip back into the house until it stops? And cover the sleeping bag with something waterproof.

Comment

Working...
                    X