• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More cuts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More cuts

BBC News - Hundreds of playground schemes mothballed

£235 million saved.

Why don't they scrap something useless, like elections?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Why don't they scrap something useless, like elections?
    Cost of elections is not very high - BBC News - FAQ: The general election
    £80 mln, spread over next 5 years isn't that much. They could of course scrap the elections but then you won't not be able to change who is in office even if the change is decorative.

Comment

I suspect it's because Prince William has already gifted 2012 open spaces for granny for being 60 years on the throne, so no need in investment from the gov
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I never played on a playground. Trees, building sites, rivers and abandoned farmhouses provided plenty of adventure and risk for a growing young chap, and provided Mr and Mrs Elastoplast and their neighbours the Dettol family with a steady income stream.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          I never played on a playground. Trees, building sites, rivers and abandoned farmhouses provided plenty of adventure and risk for a growing young chap, and provided Mr and Mrs Elastoplast and their neighbours the Dettol family with a steady income stream.
          WHS++;

Mind you, we never did manage to get the dumper truck started.

Comment

Building sites were great. Especially when they had those big concrete pipes lying around for you to ride your bike through.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Building sites were great. Especially when they had those big concrete pipes lying around for you to ride your bike through.
              Yep, great stuff, and there was always the local dimwit who'd ride through without first checking for bits of steel reinforcement sticking out.

You might get the impression that my days of youthful play involved an aspect of Darwinian selection, and if so, you are right.

Comment

Yep, jumping from the first floor of half built houses into the builders sand, coming home covered in diesel impregnated sand and stinking the house to high heaven.

Those were the days. The builders didn't even secure the area and yet no-one impaled themselves on scaffolding etc. Worse we got was scabby knees and bruised.

Kids today, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  Yep, jumping from the first floor of half built houses into the builders sand, coming home covered in diesel impregnated sand and stinking the house to high heaven.

Those were the days. The builders didn't even secure the area and yet no-one impaled themselves on scaffolding etc. Worse we got was scabby knees and bruised.

Kids today, eh?
                  There are some combinations that cannot be beaten, like;

- building site and BMX
                  - concreted open spaces and a skateboard
                  - steep, snow covered hill and a lorry tyre inner tube (great memories for those of us who spent part of our youth in the Alps or the Highlands)
                  - dump truck and a 7 foot, 470 pound northerner (erm, how did that one end up in this list?)

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

Kids today, eh?
                    I lived in a "new town" i.e. one giant building site, and I do remember there were a few accidents, and a few dead kids in the paper, although nothing I saw on building sites personally compared to my sister putting a garden fork through her foot, or the kid from school who somehow shorted the overhead railway power cables to the bridge using his body.

Comment

Working...
                    X